Dist-Upgrade 5.x -> 6.x -> 7.x

pvps1

Hi

I have to dist-upgrade a cluster currently running 5.x (already corosync-3).
your recommendations are welcome:

can I dare to dist-upgrade each host 5->6->7 (not 5->7 but 2 dist-upgrades while the rest of the cluster ist still 5.x)?
or should I better go the slow way and dist-up to 6 the whole cluster host by host and afterwards dist-up to 7?

the latter is way more time consuming and needs more interaction with customers (at least 2 downtimes/maintenance periods per non-ha hosts).

your opinion or experience?

thx
Peter

Hi,
you most definitely don't want to rush and risk by using an untested upgrade procedure on a production system. Also, there is no compatibility guarantee for clusters with v5.x and v7.x nodes. First upgrade all your nodes to v6 and only then start with upgrade to v7.

Please follow the upgrade step [0] and [1].

Downtime should be avoidable since you can live migrate VMs/CTs to other cluster nodes while performing the upgrade for one node.

[0] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_5.x_to_6.0
[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0

Hi

thought so, thx.
("no compatibility guarantee for clusters with v5.x and v7.x nodes" <- good point)
it's not my first dist-upgrade of clusters, but this one is a very time- (and coordination-) consuming 'cause not all VMs can live-migrate (5x doesnt allow live-migration with local storage and several high-load database-servers cannot go the way over a ceph oder NFS share by "move disk").

but nevermind, I thought I give it a try and ask.

Btw your upgrade path and docs are excellent! did dist-upgrade several clusters without problems following ALL instructions (since PVE4). Thank you very much for the product and community support! may a pinguin kiss you once in a while... .-)

Reactions: floh8 and Chris
PVE 5 actually does support live migration with local disks. It's just CLI only and the storage has to be the same on both nodes.
It's the `--with-local-disks` option when calling `qm migrate`.

Reactions: pvps1 and Chris

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!