Disk Storage

themonkeyman

Jun 20, 2021
I've been at this problem for quite a while. There's been a bit of a problem with my disk storage in 'local-ZFS', and it means I can't download anything without the storage increasing. I cannot get it to go down. I've already deleted essentially everything that did not have any use on each machines I have in the VE (Mac + Windows). I'll tell you what's been going on with it from the start.

Due to my ignorance at the start of everything, I accidentally capped the storage and ended up having the machine crash. I could not access proxmox's website to start up either the machines, as it was stuck loading. I had a woman run me through things and fix it for me. Now, I'm not the best with machines and barely managed to get it started running with some help, so what I currently need help with it how to get the disk storage down.

I've asked this before but essentially none of the suggestions were effective, so I'm asking if anyone has anymore. Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 19.30.14.pngI would also like to ask what this means?Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 19.30.05.pngThanks.

I've been at this problem for quite a while. There's been a bit of a problem with my disk storage in 'local-ZFS', and it means I can't download anything without the storage increasing. I cannot get it to go down. I've already deleted essentially everything that did not have any use on each machines I have in the VE (Mac + Windows). I'll tell you what's been going on with it from the start.
I guess you didn't enabled discard everywhere. ZFS is thin-provisioned so it will only free up up, if you delete something, if it gets a TRIM command telling it to delete something. So you need to make sure that...
1.) Every guest OS is setup to use discard. For windows VMs you might want to enable "SSD emulation" in the VMs storage configuration so Windows thinks it is a SSD and therefore will use TRIM commands. For Linux guest OSs you need to tell each filesystem to use discard (for example adding a ",discard" to the mounting options in your fstab).
2.) you need to use a storage controller and protocol for each VM that is able to use TRIM commands. So best to use "virtio SCSI" with "SCSI" everywhere. "IDE" and "virtio block" for example doesn't support TRIM.
3.) Make sure you enabled the "discard" checkbox of your virtual disk.

If your ZFS pool uses SSDs you also might want to enable the "autotrim" option of your pool.
After making sure your VMs supports discard you can run a fstrim -a inside your linux guests to do set a manual TRIM to free up stuff quickly.
I would also like to ask what this means?
Did you add the no-subscription repositiory? The preconfigured enterprise repository will only work if you buy a Proxmox subscription. If you don't plan to buy one you should comment the enterprise repository out and add the no-subscription one.

Okay. If I deleted the virtual machine that supposedly held this data would it be wiped off the machine? So if I wanted to create another version of it but start from square one, would that be possible?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!