Disk Space requirements for Fileserver VM using LVM Thinpool

Maxwell

Apr 14, 2024
Dear all,

for a fileserver holding about 10 TB of data I need to estimate the actual amount of disk space required for the server's VM. I'm trying to understand the relation between the size of the Logical Volumes in a Thinpool to the actual space used on the VM's disk. For example, for the logical volume I get

Rich (BB code):
root@pmx:~# lvs SATA_ARRAY_0
  LV                                     VG           Attr       LSize   Pool         Origin                                 Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  SATA_ARRAY_0                           SATA_ARRAY_0 twi-aotz--  <3.61t                                                     13.48  1.20                           
  snap_vm-102-disk-0_Ansible_Config_Done SATA_ARRAY_0 Vri---tz-k  <2.93t SATA_ARRAY_0                                                                               
  snap_vm-102-disk-0_OS_installed        SATA_ARRAY_0 Vri---tz-k  <2.93t SATA_ARRAY_0                                                                               
  vm-102-disk-0                          SATA_ARRAY_0 Vwi-aotz--  <2.93t SATA_ARRAY_0 snap_vm-102-disk-0_Ansible_Config_Done 16.55                                 
  vm-102-state-Ansible_Config_Done       SATA_ARRAY_0 Vwi-a-tz-- <20.02g SATA_ARRAY_0                                        2.49                                   
  vm-102-state-OS_installed              SATA_ARRAY_0 Vwi-a-tz-- <20.02g SATA_ARRAY_0                                        2.60

while the VM's disks seem to hold considerably less disk space

Rich (BB code):
root@ananas:/shares/fotos$ df -H
Dateisystem    Größe Benutzt Verf. Verw% Eingehängt auf
udev            5,1G       0  5,1G    0% /dev
tmpfs           1,1G    2,0M  1,1G    1% /run
/dev/sda2       3,2T    363G  2,7T   13% /
tmpfs           5,1G       0  5,1G    0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5,3M       0  5,3M    0% /run/lock
tmpfs           1,1G       0  1,1G    0% /run/user/1000

16.55 % of 2,93 TB are about 480 GB, while the VM itself uses about 360 GB. What about the difference of 120 GB? How does this scale when the amount of data on the server increases to several TB?

In addition to that, I'm trying to understand the memory requirements for snapshots and backups:
  • How many disk space is required for a snapshot? Let's assume the file server gets 1 TB of additional data - do I need to hold this data twice, once on the actual disk and once in a snapshot done after copying the data?
  • How can I free up space in the LV / thin pool again? What happens if I delete a large chunk of data from VM. Is the LV deflated again automatically or is this impossible. If yes, can this be triggered manually?
  • Bonus question :): How to determine the memory requirement on the PBS for backing up the VM with all the payload data? I'd assume that I need to provide the same amount of storage as consumed by the VM for the initial backup while later backups are considerably smaller due to deduplication?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Maxwell

How can I free up space in the LV / thin pool again? What happens if I delete a large chunk of data from VM. Is the LV deflated again automatically or is this impossible. If yes, can this be triggered manually?
You need to set up the VM to support discard (so "discard" checkbox set for the virtual disks as well as using a protocol like "virtio SCSI" that supports TRIM commands) as well as setting up all guestOSs to either mount filesystem using the discard-flag or alternatively setting up some cron to run something like "fstrim -av" regularily for linux guests.

How to determine the memory requirement on the PBS for backing up the VM with all the payload data? I'd assume that I need to provide the same amount of storage as consumed by the VM for the initial backup while later backups are considerably smaller due to deduplication?
Hard to determine because of compression and deduplication. And yes, the first backup will backup everything. After that only the chunks that changed. A chunk is 4MB in size, so changing 3MB or 1 byte of that chunk will both cause 4 MB of new data that has to be stored.
Writing 1000x 4KBs might increase the backup size by 4GB and a 1x 4MB write maybe only by 4MB.
So it highly depends on the write/edit patterns and running a DB on a CoW filesystem should cause way bigger incremental backup than for example adding some additional video files even when both are writing/editing the same amount of data to the virtual disks.

Last edited:
Reactions: news

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!