Disk space inside VM reported incorectly

ioanv

Dec 11, 2014
Hi all

First the setup:
4 nodes proxmox cluster. VMs with disk on the NAS (shared folders over NFS on synology DS814).
Each folder has a dedicated volume on NAS with only one shared folder in it.
Each Volume is 80 GB in size.
Every VM has as hard drive a raw file of 80 GB.

Today one of the VMs started to behave erratically, and after several reboots, failed to start completely. During the first reboots, I was able to determine that the hard drive was 75% occupied. However, consulting the storage, I've seen that the raw file attempted to grow over the volume's limit. As soon as I enlarged the volume, the raw file increased it's size by an additional 6 GB (so the size now is 86 GB) and the machine booted up without problems.

My question: why although inside the VM, the hdd was 75% occupied, the raw file started to grow beyond the limits of the storage volume?

Thanks for any ideas
Vlad

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!