Disk setup for proxmox

jvank

Mar 30, 2019
Hi all,

For a project I am working on I want to use a Dell T310. This server has 4 internal drive bays, and I want to add a 4-bay hotswap-rack in the 5.25 inch slot.

My idea was to put 4x 2tb NAS drives in the internal slot and 2x 500gb SSDs in the hotswap. I want to use the SSDs for proxmox installation and boot disks, 2 of the 2tb drives for storage and 2 for backup. Now my question is: how do I configure these drives? I could use 3x RAID1, but I can also choose 1x RAID1 on the SSDs and 1x RAID5 or ZFS on the HDDs. I can then partition those for my required storage.

What is the best option and why?

Regards,

jvank

I am sure many opinions on this ... I just built a small scale 16GB host with 320GB 2.5 for boot, and 2x 1TB mirror for data and backups in ZFS ...

Here is a nice ZFS setup guide, which I used

How much memory do you have ? ZFS will require more memory for the same # of VM's etc... please let us know how it goes..

Memory will probably be 24 or 32gb. I think raid would be smart because the server wil have a Dell PERC 5/i raid card and it won't use as many system resources.
In the current config vm's and containers will total about 17gb max but we will eventually want to expand.

I also want to be able to setup HA eventually so I have to be able to easily transfer everything to another server over iSCSI or something. Is this easily done with ZFS?

This is a good question, and I see no reason why it should be too complicated transferring / restoring VM;s - and I must defer to the more experienced members of the board - I have no experience with HA or clustering .. but this my next goal ) ..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!