Disk replacement procedure for a ZFS Raid 1 install.

You can not really compare mdadm with zfs. You can also not compare an mercedes with an trabant ;) ZFS has more features. In ZFS is everything directly implemented. Mdadm is an extra layer.

ZFS es much more easier to handle, more flexible, and faster in raid. I had a lot of year's mdadm and also hwraid. Never again. I spend tests really a lot of hours, and we did longtimetest.

The also one bad thing what we've seen is that zfs really need RAM, RAM, RAM RAM... At workstations we do this with 16GB RAM, on Server for virtualisation we do this with at least 64GB/128GB RAM.

Ask Google: https://www.google.de/webhp?sourcei...spv=2&ie=UTF-8&client=ubuntu#q=mdadm v.s. zfs

But for me it was the best thing to test it. To see the advantages and disadvantages.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!