disk i/o slow on iscsi+lvm

nikybiasion

Renowned Member
May 28, 2012
Hello, i've an hp p2000 iscsi/fc combo connected with iscsi with an hp dl180 with two dedicated nics. The san has 8 disks in raid 50.
I've configured the san with two different subnets for multipath.

I've created a guest with Windows 2008 R2 on an LVM disk using virtio driver. I've tried to copy a 4GB file and trasfer speed is only 45MB/s, i've created a logical volume formatted in ext3 and i've tried the same operation, transfer speed is 100MB/s.

Multipath seems working, network traffic to the san is distribuited on both nics, but may be that multipath/iscsi is not tuned very well.

Someone has a similar configuration? 45Mb/s is too slow?

I have a setup with 2 Dell Equallogic SAN units. I have 4 ethernet ports connecting each of the 3 Proxmox 2.0 units to the SAN network. The SAN network is provided by a Cisco 3750 stack of 2 units.

I get a performance of 250+mb/s for copy actions from d:\ to d:\ on a Windows 2008 R2 vm.

I don't know the expected performance would be for your hp unit. What is you expectation, regardless of using Proxmox?

My clients setup:

Code:
        -------------------------------------
        |        LVM Volumes	            |
      /		  |		  |	      \
     /		  |		  |	       \
    /		  |		  |		\
   /		  |		  |		 \
path0		path1		path2		path3
  |		  |		  |		  |
  |		  |		  |		  |
  |		  |		  |		  |
  |		  |		  |		  |
vmbr100		vmbr101		vmbr102		vmbr103
  |		  |		  |		  |
  |		  |		  |		  |
  |		  |		  |		  |
  |		  |		  |		  |
eth4		eth5		eth8		eth9
  |		  |		  |		  |
  |		  |		  |		  |
  |		  |		  |		  |
  |		  |		  |		  |
sansw-1		sansw-2		sansw-1		sansw-2
  \               |               |               /
   \              |               |              /
    \             |               |             /
     \            |               |            /
      \           |               |           /
       \          |               |          /
        |        Dell Equallogic SAN        |

I expected better performance for my iscsi san, but i think that 50mb/s is the raid speed for a read/write operation.
If i copy a file from my linux node to a virtual machine, the transfer rate is 75 mb/s. I suppose that this speed is a limit for a raid 50 with 8 sas disks.
I don't know if a better driver can improve performance (i use virtio), i've also tried ide mode, performance is even worse, only 18mb/s.

I use virtio disks in my vm's. Can you see multiple connection on your SAN? That's how I check if mpio is actually working properly on our Dell Equallogic. Also make sure the mpio paths are discrete and use different physical ethernet ports. Otherwise mpio has a negative impact on performance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!