Disk I/O graph is empty

Crogdor

Oct 10, 2023
Hi there!

I've got Proxmox VE 8.0.4. I'm running 4 LXCs and 2 VMs. I'm trying to diagnose/solve a problem where one of the LXC containers is being a noisy neighbor and starving out the other containers/VMs of I/O. I'd first like to get some insight into which container is doing the offending (I have an educated guess...), but unfortunately, all my LXCs have an empty Disk I/O graph.

The graph works fine on the VMs. And it may be important to note that the LXC containers are all running Docker for most of their work.

Any thoughts on how to get this telemetry to show up? (And what would be amazing, is knowing how I can limit how much disk I/O an LXC container is permitted to use, since that's potentially my end goal.)

I've posted a sample of one of the LXC config files below.

msedge_LfrnBL2cXW.png

Code:
arch: amd64
cores: 4
features: nesting=1
hookscript: local:snippets/wait-for-nfs-mounts.pl
hostname: docker-dl
memory: 4096
mp0: /mnt/homelab,mp=/mnt/homelab
mp1: /mnt/media,mp=/mnt/media
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,hwaddr=AE:12:1F:0C:EE:FF,ip=dhcp,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: ubuntu
rootfs: local-zfs:subvol-190-disk-0,size=500G
swap: 0
tags: ubuntu-23.04;docker
lxc.apparmor.profile: unconfined
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 10:200 rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/net dev/net none bind,create=dir

Thanks,
Dave

Hi,
Hi there!

I've got Proxmox VE 8.0.4. I'm running 4 LXCs and 2 VMs. I'm trying to diagnose/solve a problem where one of the LXC containers is being a noisy neighbor and starving out the other containers/VMs of I/O. I'd first like to get some insight into which container is doing the offending (I have an educated guess...), but unfortunately, all my LXCs have an empty Disk I/O graph.
since you are using ZFS, it's probably this bug: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2135

The graph works fine on the VMs. And it may be important to note that the LXC containers are all running Docker for most of their work.
It's recommended to use VMs to run docker. We had quite a few reports about issues when using docker inside containers (IIRC incompatibilities after an upgrade, etc.).

Any thoughts on how to get this telemetry to show up? (And what would be amazing, is knowing how I can limit how much disk I/O an LXC container is permitted to use, since that's potentially my end goal.)
You could try doing it via cgroup, but since the stats are missing just there, I'm not sure it would work.

I have the same problem even when I don't use ZFS. Container based on LVMThin disk. As soon as I start the docker daemon, and reboot contaner, the RRD graphics are empty !

How to explore this issue? what additional logs are needed?

I use 6.5.11-4-pve kernel with latest PVE

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!