[SOLVED] Disk filling up with log files

oystein

Mar 12, 2021
Drammen, Norway
Hi,

I'm a total newbie to proxmox, with not too much experience in linux either, but I'm able to manage a little bit due to haveing worked on unix based systems ages ago.

My problem is that I installed the same setup a week ago, and the system ran out of space after a week or so, and after reinstalling yesterday it seems to be filling up again.

The installation is on an 5 year od Lenove laptop with a SSD drive with about 250Gig space.

I did the proxmox installation following the instructions at: https://www.juanmtech.com/install-proxmox-and-virtualize-home-assistant/

And Home Assistant OS installed as a VM with the help of an automated script created by "whiskers", found at https://github.com/whiskerz007/proxmox_hassos_install
(from a video by Dr Zzs found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAHKftNVTco

The home assistant VM is set up with 32 Gig.
The local node is currently on about 11 Gig while the local-lvm is at 3.44 Gigs.
After installing yesterday local was much smaller (around 2.5 i Believe).

When looking in the syslog panel there are loads of messages like:
systemd-logind[572]: Failed to execute operation: Permission denied
Seems to be about 510 each second.

Every now and then it's broken by first 1-2 seconds of of message like:
systemd-logind[572]: Unit suspend.target is masked, refusing operation.
systemd-logind[572]: Suspending...

and then 8 more seconds of
systemd-logind[572]: Suspending...
systemd-logind[572]: Unit suspend.target is masked, refusing operation.

The problem is that I have no idea how to proceed to solve this.
I've also looked in the /var/log/ directory and it seems like there are some logfiles that are filling up.
auth.log is currently at 6.5 Gig
lastlog is 18 Meg and
syslog is 532 K

I suspect that this will climb until the disk is full and then I get no response again.

Anyone that have an idea what can cause this, and/or how I can proceed to identify and solve it?

Thanks,
Øystein

Last edited:
Anyone that have an idea what can cause this, and/or how I can proceed to identify and solve it?
When looking in the syslog panel there are loads of messages like:
Seems to be about 510 each second.

Why do you have systemd-logind running at all?
Did you installed a gui/desktop on top of proxmox?

I have no experience with a desktop on proxmox, but since it's debian 10, it should work in theory, you probably did it wrong or missed something etc...

Systemd tells you already permission denied, on whatever it tryes to execute or open... There should be a line where systemd says what is denied exactly.

Cheers

Why do you have systemd-logind running at all?
Did you installed a gui/desktop on top of proxmox?

I have no experience with a desktop on proxmox, but since it's debian 10, it should work in theory, you probably did it wrong or missed something etc...

Systemd tells you already permission denied, on whatever it tryes to execute or open... There should be a line where systemd says what is denied exactly.

Cheers
Hi,

I honestly have no idea why systemd-logind is running.
I did a quick google on it when I saw the logs, but from what I understood it kept track of users and sessions so I expected it to be something that should be running.

I have not installed any gui/desktop. I did a very basic install according to the website I mentioned above.
That included: Installting Proxmox VE, selecting the right location/timezone, setting up password and email and finished with setting hostname.
After the install completed I used the web-interface to connect, and then installed Home Assistant from there.

You have right, i just checked and i have that service running either...

I know what it is for, but don't understand why it's not disabled on proxmox. Probably you can disable it and your issue is fixed. But let's get a confirmation first that that service is useless, from someone official. @t.lamprecht xD

Reactions: oystein
The installation is on an 5 year od Lenove laptop with a SSD drive with about 250Gig space.
I figure that you want to keep that box permanently running? Just asking due to the fact that it's a laptop.

I'd not disable the systemd-login service, but rather edit /etc/systemd/logind.conf and add
Code:
HandleLidSwitch=ignore

there under the [Login] section, then: systemctl try-reload-or-restart systemd-logind.service (or maybe you even need to reboot, not sure any more)

Yes, I want to keep it running at all time (just reusing an old laptop).
And when I saw what you wrote I remember that I did one more thing after installation, to try and handle the power-off when closing the lid.

I installed sudo and ran the command "sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target"
This is something I found on the debian wiki, and that might be the cause of my problems as well?

I'll see if I can reset that change, and then try your suggestion. Otherwise I'll just reinstall proxmox.
The machine is just set up so it's only going to take me a couple of hours to have it set up to the same status again.

Thanks a lot, and sorry about not remembering the additional command I have run as well.

Best Regards & thanks for the help :)
-øystein

"sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target"
You can revert that the same way, same command, just unmask instead of mask

But that looks like the proper way, to disable sleep, so I won't worry.
I say only proper way, because it's in the debian wiki, but masking systemd targets/services feels a bit like a hardcore way.

However, it should be correct, just try to edit your logind.conf according to lamprecht and probably it won't spam anymore.

If you still get a ton of logs, well, there is a hardcore way to delete them with a cronjob too. But normally they should be rotated/compressed/deleted automatically after time.

Cheers

Reactions: oystein

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!