Disk exceeding boot size?

Poppels

Aug 31, 2024
Hi

I got a guest VM that runs an NFS server. I have given it a 750 GB boot disk, but when I check the disk size in local-lvm it says the VM disk size is 805 GB.
In the guest OS, the VM still has ~45 GB of free space. So why is the VM disk so big on the local-lvm?

My issue right now is that the local-lvm is full, and one VM gets I/O error when booting up.

I carefully planned my VM disk sizes, and even left some for spare by only going for 750 GB on the NFS server. And yet I have somehow filled up the local-lvm.

Any tips or pointers on how to proceed would be appreciated!

I think this is just a conversion issue. Some systems use megabytes and some use mebibytes. Meanwhile I have had to shrink some other VMs' bootdisks and I have also set a limit on how much of the 750 Gi the NFS server can use.

I never did manage to shrink the NFS disk without risking data loss. Either way, I am looking into replacing it with a proper NAS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!