Disk configuration suggestions

reetp

Renowned Member
Aug 19, 2013
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for disk configuration for me ?

I have 2 x 250Gb and 2 x 1TB drives each configured as RAID 1 mirrors on a hardware RAID card so effectively 1 x 250Gb & 1 x 1Tb

I had thought about installing Proxmox itself on the 250Gb (with a little room for some test machines) and leaving (in general terms) the 1 x 1Tb for a couple of KVM servers. (I need a lot more space than than I do power)

What would be the best way to install in this sort of configuration ? I presume you would install to the 250Gb and then add the 1Tb in after with a new LVM on it ? Or would you grow the existing LVM on the 250Gb drive ?

What about if I wanted to upgrade the 250Gb to say 1Tb in the future - the machine can see more drives but doesn't have the bays for them permanently (4 drives). How easy is it to move the Proxmox install itself ? I presume it would be easier if the 1Tb had a separate LVM ?

Any advice appreciated.

B. Rgds
John

Hi,

Nowadays 1TB are not so expensive anymore, you already think about a possible later upgrade - buy additional 2x 1TB harddisks 'now' and create a Raid-10;
You have then more space, better performance and no need to think how to move or re-install your system again later....

Alex

For me, the purpose itself with proxmox is to be able to replace the physical server (proxmox node) in any case of hardware issue. This leads to a fairly easy way to move the proxmox installation to a new box in the future. This also leads to fairly easy to add disk on the physical server.

To answer your question, you can in proxmox gui add disk to VMs from local storage. If you add the 1Tb disk on the proxmox node, you can use this space as any linux space on the node by adding disk in proxmox gui pointing to that mounted local path. It can be your fav file system, or a new LVM, or extend the existing pve-data.
/Hans

Nowadays 1TB are not so expensive anymore, you already think about a possible later upgrade - buy additional 2x 1TB harddisks 'now' and create a Raid-10;
You have then more space, better performance and no need to think how to move or re-install your system again later....

Depends on how much money you have in the pot :) Unfortunately I have a very limited budget. Personally I would have at least one extra to have as a spare so I would need a couple more :-(

To answer your question, you can in proxmox gui add disk to VMs from local storage. If you add the 1Tb disk on the proxmox node, you can use this space as any linux space on the node by adding disk in proxmox gui pointing to that mounted local path. It can be your fav file system, or a new LVM, or extend the existing pve-data.

Ah, excellent thanks. I think I will do as you suggest. Leave Proxmox on the 250Gb and then create a new LVM on the 1Tb and mount it on to the Proxmox install. I can then move either about as I need too.

Many thanks for the replies.

B. Rgds
John

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!