Disc/discs migration question.

bandzior

Jun 2, 2015
Hello.

I wonder if it is possible to add a disk to the virtual machine in proxmox cluster, which is from the disk array - like RDM in VMware, does not have a partition table - it is all formatted and then migrate it live to one of LVMs storage. Do you have any idea how to migrate data without dd?

Best
Daniel

does not have a partition table - it is all formatted
What exactly is on this disk? How would you get it connected to PVE?

then migrate it live to one of LVMs storage
What do you mean live? While ESX still has access and is writing data to it? If yes - then no, its not possible.

Do you have any idea how to migrate data without dd?
There are many other tools, but what is wrong with dd?

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

What exactly is on this disk? How would you get it connected to PVE?

It is a disc with XFS filesystem.

What do you mean live? While ESX still has access and is writing data to it? If yes - then no, its not possible.

I said - VMware like. It will not be connected to VMware and PORXMOX in the same time.
I have this disc connected to KVM virtual machine and want to migrate it to PROXMOX.

There are many other tools, but what is wrong with dd?

What tools? Can you give me the names?

Best

It is a disc with XFS filesystem.
ok, I am going to assume you will figure out the connectivity.

I have this disc connected to KVM virtual machine and want to migrate it to PROXMOX.
It'd be much easier if you described your environment in more detail. Proxmox is also running KVM virtual machines. Are you saying its connected now to some other hypervisor than the target PVE? Regardless, find a way to connect it to PVE then either pass it through to a VM and duplicate to an equal size LVM disk from inside the VM, or pre-create LVM disk and use PVE hypervisor directly to duplicate your data.

What tools? Can you give me the names?
I know what happens to people who name names...

Since you didnt specify any requirements, nor did you explain why "dd" is not sufficient to do the job, here is a list of tools covering a wide range of functionality:
dcfldd
ddrescue
pv
qemu-img
rsync
cp
tar
clonezilla
fsarchiver
acronis
partclone
partimage
doclone

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!