Disadvantages to enabling nesting?

Terminatrix

Aug 23, 2021
I know that some big hosting providers like Contabo which uses Proxmox disabled nesting inside their normal VPS packages.

Why would you say they do this? What are the disadvantages if for example I am using 6 cores/1 socket.

54d2bf91cf9ebcd190497ced76b110cf.png

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Nested_Virtualization
For example: VMs with nested virtualization cannot be live-migrated.
That alone is a good reason for a hoster to disable this feature, because it prevents the VM from being HA-migrated in case the host dies.
I have done that though. There was no errors shown, both had the same CPU. I think it does work if you have host as CPU type?

Last edited:
Yes it's nice :) now I need to just work on getting cloud-init to work live migration haha

Can you think of any other reasons? I can only think that maybe they don't want users to sell virtual machines as those users would use more total resources.

Do they passthrough a cpu of type qemu/kvm64 oder host?
If they switch their server hardware or if they use different host servers and try to migrate vms, things may break on customer side.
When customers virtualize to their customers, this problem gets exponentially worse.

Nesting is not enabled by default, thats probably why they simply dont use it.

Shared resources on VPS may be a concern, but honestly, if they want to mess with them, customers could run a benchmark 24/7 and call it a day.

Do they passthrough a cpu of type qemu/kvm64 oder host?
If they switch their server hardware or if they use different host servers and try to migrate vms, things may break on customer side.
When customers virtualize to their customers, this problem gets exponentially worse.

Nesting is not enabled by default, thats probably why they simply dont use it.

Shared resources on VPS may be a concern, but honestly, if they want to mess with them, customers could run a benchmark 24/7 and call it a day.
They enable host flag and they use the same hardware too as far as I can see (different countries use different hardware but each region seems to be the same).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!