Disabling Wayland

otoman

Mar 25, 2022
Hello again,

In my pursuit of convenience, I've stumbled upon another issue while setting up a desktop environment for everyday use on my Proxmox server. Thanks to the community, I was able to fix issues with my configuration so that I can run MATE desktop successfully on my integrated Alder Lake GPU. However, I've just discovered new weird issues.

So I'm using NoMachine to connect to my VMs and am having issues where not all my keys are grabbed by NoMachine despite correct settings. After a lot of Googling around, I found the post saying the issue is Wayland with instructions on how to disable it and force the system to use Xorg. However, when I disable Wayland, the XServer won't start at all again. I've tried installing lightdm, sddm, xdm, wdm without any success. The only DM I can get any results on is GDM3 and only with Wayland enabled.

I'm visually impaired so I'm heavily reliant on the keyboard and not having all keypresses go through is really limiting.

Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I tried all the solutions I could find without success.

All other DMs just crash.

Thanks in advance.

otoman

Recently ran into a similar issue - for me it was forgetting to install `xorg` (none of the display managers have a hard dependency on it).

Additionally with GDM - you can select which session to start after providing the user-name (the gear-symbol for settings below the user name entry). - there you can select e.g. gnome with X or gnome with wayland

I hope this helps!

I tried everything but can't log in with anything other than GNOME + Wayland. Everything else (System X11,Gnome Classic, Gnome on Xorg, MATE, Window Maker, Default Xsession) just puts me back onto the login screen. I've tried reinstalling Xorg and everything so it's definitely there.

Any suggestions?

I've tried reinstalling Xorg and everything so it's definitely there.

Any suggestions?
I'd suggest to check the logs of one of the failing sessions (journal, /var/log/Xorg.0.log, the log of gdm...) and see if it shows where the problem is rooted

So I was checking the logs and couldn't make sense of it. Was about to post logs here, but then I had a NoMachine update which seems to have fixed the issue so I don't really need Xorg at the moment.

If someone's interested I can cat out the logs though.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!