Disabling CPU Throttling on Microsoft Surface Pro 4?

sdet00

Nov 18, 2017
Howdy folks. I was recently given a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with a swelling battery. I managed to remove the battery without too much trouble, and decided to use it for Proxmox as I figured it would be a pretty low power option as power prices are getting a bit crazy. Unfortunately, I seem to get some pretty extreme throttling without the battery installed. It doesn't seem to want to go past 1Ghz or 1.1Ghz with the Intel Core i7-6650u in this PC. It has a 44w power supply connected, so I don't think that's an issue for this 15w CPU. I tried disabling turbo boost in the hope that I would be able to run at base clock speeds at minimum (2.2Ghz), but that seems to have no affect.

Command I ran to try to disable turbo:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo

Is there anything else I can try to get it to run at at a proper clock speed? I have used Throttlestop on Windows previously and I was able to get it to run normally. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!