Disable or Hide "Tape Backup" in PBS 3.2-7

bearhntr

Sep 9, 2022
Atlanta, GA USA
I just installed this about a month ago, and find it odd that TAPE BACKUP is an option. Well, not too strange; just funny that anyone still uses tape. {Please don't slam me...I know that some people still use it}

Is there a way to hide or disable this menu option? I have no intention of ever using tape, based on speed of the medium and the cost.

Lol. Dude. No. You can't do that. I dare you to try. Better backup your backup server first. :]

Here. You're just playing in your lab. Give this a whirl. VTL - Virtual Tape Library.
Full directions from Promxox on setting this up. Freeware. You can do it in a VM, running on your PVE.
https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Installing_a_Virtual_Tape_Library

And then you can plug it into your PBS. And then you can see the tape features work.
So it ain't gonna cost you nothin. It's just some lab fun.
Shout out to me here if you do it. I wanna screenshot.

Lol. Dude. No. You can't do that. I dare you to try. Better backup your backup server first. :]

Here. You're just playing in your lab. Give this a whirl. VTL - Virtual Tape Library.
Full directions from Promxox on setting this up. Freeware. You can do it in a VM, running on your PVE.
https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Installing_a_Virtual_Tape_Library

And then you can plug it into your PBS. And then you can see the tape features work.
So it ain't gonna cost you nothin. It's just some lab fun.
Shout out to me here if you do it. I wanna screenshot.
I have a home-lab...well it is multiple VMs with applications that I support in my job. I want to keep them backed up - in case I need to restore one that I break doing testing. I take snapshots before I make a change, but one can never be to safe. Was taught early in my computer career (back in the 80s/90s that your data is only as secure as your last "Good backup". ;)

I have removable USB drives that I many times put backups onto and then lock them away for some stuff I want to keep. I was just thinking it would be nice if the menu item could be 'hidden'.

Alright. Sooner or later, I'm gonna convince somebody to try those directions.

I have an older ISCSi-only storage machine that won't support PBS's reqs. I will eventually build out a front end for it with QuadStore VTL, and I will use it with PBS. That looks like a fun build to me. New tech I haven't used before and old junk I'm gonna re-use.

Unfortunately, it looks like my world is about to be eaten by Veeam CDP again. Not gonna have any time for fun stuff for a bit.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!