[SOLVED] Disable filtering, processing, SA score for a one sender/IP of the sender

poetry

May 28, 2020
Hello,
From server IP 1.2.3.4 I just want to receive and pass email to server 2.3.4.5 without any processing.

Is it possible to completely disable filtering including SA score for just one sender server (IP address). I have created Rule with top priority that accepts mail from this sender but this will still add spam score and use processing that is completely wasted. This will also break statistics because this messages will fail spf ect because we are not first server that receives mail.
If necessary advice how to create a proxmox template to disable this sender via postfix settings? I am guessing this is the only way or I am wrong?

From server IP 1.2.3.4 I just want to receive and pass email to server 2.3.4.5 without any processing.
Why not configure 1.2.3.4 to directly send mails to 2.3.4.5?

else - it might be possible to do some workaround with the postfix config (maybe only selectively enabling sending the mail to pmg-smtp-filter) - but I haven't checked that.

This will also break statistics because this messages will fail spf ect because we are not first server that receives mail.
if the mail goes to your PMG instance it will seem as coming from PMG to the downstreamserver ?! - this again speaks for adapting the configuration of 1.2.3.4 - or correctly configuring 2.3.4.5 to accept mail from your PMG w/o SPF checks

Again - not sure if PMG is the right tool in this use-case

Why not configure 1.2.3.4 to directly send mails to 2.3.4.5?

else - it might be possible to do some workaround with the postfix config (maybe only selectively enabling sending the mail to pmg-smtp-filter) - but I haven't checked that.

if the mail goes to your PMG instance it will seem as coming from PMG to the downstreamserver ?! - this again speaks for adapting the configuration of 1.2.3.4 - or correctly configuring 2.3.4.5 to accept mail from your PMG w/o SPF checks

Again - not sure if PMG is the right tool in this use-case

The main reason why we do not allow sending of mails directly to 2.3.4.5 is keep track of received messages easily via tracking center on pmg and to have a consistent configuration over all domains. Every domain is configured the same way we only allow inbound mail on IP addresses where PMG is. Then we pass emails to our mail server inside our network.

This is a special case where customer has it's own mail filtering solution so we should not filter email for them. So is it possible to configure pmg to pass mail without filtering or not? I need a solution or I will have to do it another way.

This is a special case where customer has it's own mail filtering solution so we should not filter email for them. So is it possible to configure pmg to pass mail without filtering or not?
Not out of the box - and also not a 'supported' use-case

If you want to try I think the 'sender_dependent_*' parameters in postfix might be used to construct something like that - although I'm still not sure if those mails would end up in the tracking center
e.g. https://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#sender_dependent_default_transport_maps
you might also need to create a new transport entry, which does not send the mail to pmg-smtp-filter or pmgpolicy in /etc/pmg/templates/master.cf.in

as said - nothing I've tried - just a few ideas where you might want to go further

I hope this helps!

Reactions: poetry
Not out of the box - and also not a 'supported' use-case

If you want to try I think the 'sender_dependent_*' parameters in postfix might be used to construct something like that - although I'm still not sure if those mails would end up in the tracking center
e.g. https://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#sender_dependent_default_transport_maps
you might also need to create a new transport entry, which does not send the mail to pmg-smtp-filter or pmgpolicy in /etc/pmg/templates/master.cf.in

as said - nothing I've tried - just a few ideas where you might want to go further

I hope this helps!
Thanks for the answer. I guess I will have to give up on logs and just configure for this domain for mails to go directly to the mail server.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!