dirty-bitmap is used but no reduction

stormtronix

Renowned Member
Jul 23, 2014
I just setup the first test-backup- server and made the first backup of a VM with a 87GB Disk - workes as intended and backed up the 87 GB.

1 hour later I made a second backup, but all the 87GB are backed up again - what could be the issue?

INFO: using fast incremental mode (dirty-bitmap), 87.0 GiB dirty of 87.0 GiB total

the space-usage on the datastore was not affected, no space was used, but the backup took almost the same time and reads/sends everything again

your pveversion -v?

did you start/stop your VM?

what services are running inside?

1 hour later I made a second backup, but all the 87GB are backed up again - what could be the issue?

Does this VM has an EFI disk? Can you try triggering an additional (live) backup, so that it would be the third one since the VM was started.

Please also post the line after backup was done, i.e. looking something like:
INFO: backup was done incrementally, reused 47.46 GiB (98%)

your pveversion -v?

-the newest from pve-nosubscription, checked it according to yor recommendation

did you start/stop your VM?

-no, the vm was running

what services are running inside?

-inside the vm? it is a mailserver, sending only few mails/h

Does this VM has an EFI disk? Can you try triggering an additional (live) backup, so that it would be the third one since the VM was started.

Please also post the line after backup was done, i.e. looking something like:

will do this tomorrow

OK - it worked: ...604.0 MiB dirty of 87.0 GiB total ... Backup took only 26s on an old and slow Server - great!

Maybe the time between the first two backups was too short, it was 40 min - not an hour as mentioned before

pls get hte file-browsing done and release for production, we were really waiting for this!

hi, i'm testing PBS, and i have same test Virtual Machine.
if the virtual machine is shutdown i see that the backup is full, if the virtual machine is start the backup use incremental mode (dirty-bitmap)....
Is this correct???

Maybe the time between the first two backups was too short, it was 40 min - not an hour as mentioned before

That time should not matter. Can you confirm that the respective VM uses an EFI disk and OVMF as firmware?

Reactions: menk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!