[SOLVED] Dir does not mount correctly

Circlenaut

Jun 22, 2017
Issue:
Backup directory is pointed to the local file-system instead of a file-system on another zfs block device within the same server.

Background:

My /etc/pve/storage.cfg is configured as such:

dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content vztmpl,iso
shared 0
zfspool: local-zfs
pool rpool/data
content images,rootdir
sparse 1
zfspool: storage
pool storage
content images,rootdir
sparse 1
zfspool: machines
pool machines
content rootdir,images
sparse 1
dir: Backups
path /storage
content backup
maxfiles 10
shared 0

Notice how it references back to /storage.

ZFS says it's mounted to /storage.

zfs get mountpoint storage
NAME PROPERTY VALUE SOURCE
storage mountpoint /storage default

But I don't see it with df

df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 32G 0 32G 0% /dev
tmpfs 6.3G 9.8M 6.3G 1% /run
rpool/ROOT/pve-1 54G 43G 12G 80% /
tmpfs 32G 43M 32G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 32G 0 32G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
machines 23G 0 23G 0% /machines
rpool 12G 0 12G 0% /rpool
rpool/ROOT 12G 0 12G 0% /rpool/ROOT
rpool/data 12G 0 12G 0% /rpool/data
/dev/fuse 30M 60K 30M 1% /etc/pve
tmpfs 6.3G 0 6.3G 0% /run/user/1000

Which is why I think under Datacenter-->Server-->Backups "Backups" shows the same usage level as "local".

How can I get proxmox to recognize and mount Backups under my much larger "storage" zfs pool instead of "local"?

This used to work properly when I first installed v5.1 and up until maybe 3 months ago.

Hi,

I guess your zfs can't mount because the dir /storage are not empty.

please check your logs and if so you will find an entry or call

Code:
mount -all

That's it! the dir was not empty. For some reason it was occupied with the backup directory (dump). I supposed this may have happened if /storage did not mount on boot and a backup was started; filling the local dir and thus making it not empty on the next remount attempt.

I did have to remove my back dir from datacenter --> storage. Otherwise the directory "dump" kept being recreated. I did try first "rm -r /storage/dump && mount -all" to try and remount before the service gets a chance to recreated the directory but even when I deleted the directory in the webui, mount -all by itself did not work. I needed to restart the node completely.

Might be a good idea to run a check to see if the mount-point "/storage" exists before the service creates any directories in the mount-point directory.

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!