Difficulty to bind vfio-pci to HBA

Kevin86

Jun 12, 2019
Hi all!

Just updated to 6.0. Works well, except for one small issue. I am unable to bind vfio-pci to my LSI HBA on boot with a conf file in /etc/modprobe.d/ This does work fine for my GPU though.
Code:
options vfio-pci ids=1000:0086
I am able to unbind mpt3sas manually, after which vfio-pci binds without an issue.
Code:
echo "0000:01:00.0" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0/driver/unbind
I think my problem resides in initramfs, which somehow triggers the load/bind of kernel driver mpt3sas for my HBA before vfio-pci can. dmesg shows mpt3sas is loaded as soon as init is ran.
Code:
[    1.102377] Run /init as init process
[    1.132019] usb 3-3: new low-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
[    1.163191] dca service started, version 1.12.1
[    1.163328] ahci 0000:03:00.1: version 3.0
[    1.165961] ahci 0000:03:00.1: SSS flag set, parallel bus scan disabled
[    1.168694] ahci 0000:03:00.1: AHCI 0001.0301 32 slots 8 ports 6 Gbps 0x33 impl SATA mode
[    1.171490] ahci 0000:03:00.1: flags: 64bit ncq sntf stag pm led clo only pmp pio slum part sxs deso sadm sds apst
[    1.174526] mpt3sas version 27.101.00.00 loaded
Code:
[    5.703417] VFIO - User Level meta-driver version: 0.3
[    5.713032] vfio_pci: add [1000:0086[ffffffff:ffffffff]] class 0x000000/00000000
[    5.713036] vfio_pci: add [1002:687f[ffffffff:ffffffff]] class 0x000000/00000000
[    5.713039] vfio_pci: add [1002:aaf8[ffffffff:ffffffff]] class 0x000000/00000000
Blacklisting mpt3sas with a conf file in /etc/modprobe.d/ does not help. I did run update-initramfs -u after blacklisting. Tried both:
Code:
blacklist mpt3sas
and
Code:
install mpt3sas /bin/true
Could someone point me in the right direction how to prevent loading of mpt3sas? Or should I use a script to unbind the driver? Thanks for your help!

You can try blacklisting mpt3sas from the kernel command line by changing the following line in /etc/default/grub:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="<...other parameters...> modprobe.blacklist=mpt3sas"

Then running 'update-grub'.

Alternatively, you can try including vfio-pci in your initramfs, by including it in '/etc/initramfs-tools/modules', then regenerating your initramfs with 'update-initramfs -k all -u'.

Just tried your suggestions. Unfortunately they did not solve the issue.

I could not find other ways to solve this in example the wiki or Debian manuals. I am to unfamiliar with Linux to fully understand the mechanisms that trigger kernel module loading. Since boot parameters don't work/initramfs vfio-pci whitelisting/blacklisting through '/etc/modprobe.d/' I guess the best alternative way is unbinding via script or a recompiled kernel without the conflicting module? Could use some hints :)

It's not clear to me why the module blacklisting doesn't work. Especially the 'install mpt3sas /bin/true' should have worked, even according to 'man modprobe.d'.

A few shots in the dark:
  • Try running 'depmod -a' as root before rebuilding the initramfs (with blacklist and/or install in your modprobe.d/*.conf)
  • Check 'lsmod' and see if other modules depend on mpt3sas, blacklist them too
  • 'modinfo mpt3sas' mentions mpt2sas as an alias, try blacklisting that one as well
Otherwise, using a script to unbind seems like the only way (unless you actually want to get into recompiling your kernel - if you do, you can find the sources for our pve-kernel here).

Tried again to prevent the module to get loaded, but did not succeed.
First gathered info:
Code:
root@pve:~# lsmod | grep mpt3sas
mpt3sas               241664  0
raid_class             16384  1 mpt3sas
scsi_transport_sas     40960  2 ses,mpt3sas
Created corresponding <modulename>.conf files for mpt3sas, mpt2sas, ses, raid_class and scsi_transport_sas in '/etc/modprobe.d/' with the following line in it:
Code:
install <modulename> /bin/true
Ran 'depmod -a' followed by 'update-initramfs -k all -u' as root. Somehow mpt3sas still gets loaded. Verified with 'lsinitramfs' the conf files are included in the newly created initramfs. Same result if I change those file in '/etc/modprobe.d' to:
Code:
blacklist <modulename>
Really wonder what is causing this behaviour. I don't know how to diagnose this further.

I got it running with following script, the HBA behaves well with unbinds:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
print "GUEST HOOK: " . join(' ', @ARGV). "\n";
# First argument is the vmid
my $vmid = shift;
# Second argument is the phase
my $phase = shift;
if ($phase eq 'pre-start') {
    # First phase 'pre-start' will be executed before the guest
    # is started. Exiting with a code != 0 will abort the start
    print "$vmid is starting, doing preparations.\n";
    system("echo \"1000 0086\" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/new_id &&
            echo \"0000:01:00.0\" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0/driver/unbind &&
            echo \"0000:01:00.0\" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/bind &&
            echo \"1000 0086\" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/remove_id");
    # print "preparations failed, aborting."
    # exit(1);
} elsif ($phase eq 'post-stop') {
    # Last phase 'post-stop' will be executed after the guest stopped.
    # This should even be executed in case the guest crashes or stopped
    # unexpectedly.
    print "$vmid stopped. Doing cleanup.\n";
    system("echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0/remove &&
            echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan");
} else {
    die "got unknown phase '$phase'\n";
}
exit(0);

Thank you for the help Stefan, really appreciated!

Last edited:
Got it solved. I am using UEFI and 'pve-efiboot-tool refresh' needs to run after 'update-initramfs'.

Blacklisting works fine now!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!