[SOLVED] Differentiate Backup Modes

typkrft

Feb 10, 2022
Is there a way to differentiate backup "modes" of previous backups that have already been taken. I'd like to go and protect an initial copy of several "stop" backups and then prune subsequent snapshots. Maybe I've missed something in the documentation or UI.

Is there a way to differentiate backup "modes" of previous backups that have already been taken. I'd like to go and protect an initial copy of several "stop" backups and then prune subsequent snapshots. Maybe I've missed something in the documentation or UI.
For that I work with namespaces. One namespace for manual backups, one namespace for daily snapshot-mode backups and one namespace for weekly stop-mode backups. Using namespaces won't hurt the deduplication factor and you can define different retentions for each namespace and therefore different retentions for each backup mode type.

Last edited:
For that I work with namespaces. One namespace for manual backups, one namespace for daily snapshot-mode backups and one namespace for weekly stop-mode backups. Using namespaces won't hurt the deduplication factor and you can define different retentions for each namespace and therefore different retentions for each backup mode type.
Thank you for the response! I had thought of that, unfortunately it was after the fact. I'm in the middle of a some infra transitioning and I have some "stop" backups of VMs that no longer exist, and I wanted to keep then for archival purposes for the next 6 months to a year. But I have no way of differentiating the "stop" backup from the snapshots. I can track them down via logs that were emailed to me, but I was just seeing if there were another way.

I don't think that is stored in the backup snapshots. At least I can't see anything in the index.json where I would think this should be stored in case it would.

Last edited:
It doesn't appear to be unfortunately. Luckily, the file name, command, and logs, which do show the type were sent in the email notifications I set up. And I was easily able to move the backups to a newly created namespace. All is sorted out now. I genuinely appreciate you talking time out of your day to try and assist though!

In addition to namespaces, probably helpful for anyone that comes across this thread to make a proper note template.

Excerpts From the emails for posterity.
Code:
vzdump 408 --node pve-0 --storage pbs-storage-0 --notification-mode auto --remove 0 --notes-template '{{guestname}}' --mode stop

408: 2024-02-22 23:00:03 INFO: backup mode: stop

Yes, would also be possible to write "stop" or "snapshot" in the backup jobs note template so you later could know which mode that backup snapshot was created with.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!