Differential Backups on PromoxVE - Replace VEEAM + HyperV?

tomstephens89

Renowned Member
Mar 10, 2014
Kingsclere, United Kingdom
Howdy all, migrating another HyperV Cluster to Proxmox VE. I have been using Proxmox VE since 3.0 and love it. Have deployed single instances to 16 node clusters, including ceph, iscsi, you name it... In fact I have deployed Proxmox VE into some of the most prestigious organisations in the UK/London, perhaps the world.

However I am looking to replace a VEEAM backup solution which of course integrates very well with HyperV. I know the built in VZDump is supposed to be a simple backup solution that always provides a full backup that can be restored anywhere... However this does not work as a dependable automatic backup infrastructure that can replace VEEAM due to space requirements.

I am aware of Ayufan's differential patch here: https://github.com/ayufan/pve-patches however I have never really wanted to extend away from a clean vanilla Proxmox install just in case of issues, I like to keep things standard.

My questions are:

1. Are Ayufans differential backup extensions stable and tested on Proxmox 6.1-3?

2. What other third party open source backup solution would everyone reccomend to replace VEEAM. Even if it requires an Agent on each VM?

3. Are there plans to extend the built in VZDump to include differential etc... I know you want to keep it simple however if you did this, it would MASSIVELY increase the value of Proxmox VE and instantly make it a one stop shop solution for not only the virtualisation infrastructure, but backup as well!

I love Proxmox VE and have replaced many VMWare and HyperV clusters with it. But the backup integration options compared to whats available for VMWare and HyperV are lacking.

Many Thanks
Tom

3. Are there plans to extend the built in VZDump to include differential etc... I know you want to keep it simple however if you did this, it would MASSIVELY increase the value of Proxmox VE and instantly make it a one stop shop solution for not only the virtualisation infrastructure, but backup as well!

Yes, I am working on that.

Reactions: psionic

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!