Different size of ISO's after upload to proxmox

Lemure

Mar 7, 2021
I have uploaded a couple of ISO files to proxmox to use as VM. The issue is that proxmox reports different size of the ISO than the computer I used to upload the files. For example, in my computer pfSense ISO is 517.5MB, but once uploaded to Proxmox, the proxmox web interface reports the size as 493.48MB. Same with another ISO, in my computer 1.7GB, in proxmox 1.56GB. I have tried deleting the ISO's and uploading them again, but the sizes are always the same.

Is this normal and I am missing something, or is there a problem with my installation or my upload process?

Check the hash of the isos,
md5 /var/lib/vz/...
And compare it with the original.

If it's same, then probably you have bigger or smaller blocksize between your pc/proxmox. If the hash is different, probably an ddr ram issue or something like that.

Just checked the hashes, they all match.

So what could be the reason why they show as different sizes between my ubuntu laptop and the proxmox machine?

Blocksize difference, idk xD
Check in windows, right click, property's...
There is more than one size.

ZFS with compression?

ZFS with compression?

I'm not using ZFS in neither of the systems. My laptop is running Ubuntu on ext4 and Proxmox is just running the default lvm installation.

I am honestly quite puzzle as to what might be happening.

can you post that 'stat' output for both files?

When I check the sizes in the terminal, the files in my laptop and in proxmox have the same size. So it seems the problem is how the sizes are presented in the gui's.

Stat gives also same Size and Blocks in both computer.

It seems the Ubuntu file GUI is calculating sizes very weirdly.

One ISO has 1.676.804.096 bytes, proxmox correctly labels that as 1.56GB (dividing by 1024 for every M). But Ubuntu file GUI says that is 1.7GB.

The other ISO has 517.453.824 bytes, proxmox correctly labels that as 493.48 MB, but Ubuntu GUI says 517.5MB.

Wtf is the Ubuntu GUI doing? In any case sorry for taking your time, it is all good.

Reactions: oguz and fabian
There are 2 sizes of a file always, the actual filesize and the used diskspace size.
I don't think that the ubuntu gui shows some crap, it's more likely that there is a logic behind, so they show probably the used space on the disk or something like that xD

However, it's anyway unimportant, cheers.

There are 2 sizes of a file always, the actual filesize and the used diskspace size.
I don't think that the ubuntu gui shows some crap, it's more likely that there is a logic behind, so they show probably the used space on the disk or something like that xD

However, it's anyway unimportant, cheers.
I think Ubuntu is being "lazy", dividing by 1000 each step instead of dividing by 1024 each step, which I find extremely odd since a computer is doing it anyways, and then rounding to one decimal only.

Check the numbers:

1. 1676804096 bytes, dividing by 1000 steps, turns into 1.676... GB, rounded to 1.7GB

2. 517453824 bytes, dividing by 1000 steps turns to 517.45... MB, rounded to 517.5 MB.

Honestly, seems very weird what the Files GUI is doing. And it is the Gnome file GUI. Not sure who's at fault here, Gnome, Ubuntu or someone else, but it is weird and confusing.

But as you said, it is all good.

Reactions: Ramalama

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!