DHCP server in VM

Vitupow

Oct 9, 2023
Good morning,

I have installed a debian server as a DHCP server within a vm in proxmox but from a client site I am not able to lease an IP address from this server. Can a vm be installed as a DHCP server within the Proxmox infrastructure?

Thanks

It should be possible, do you have the firewall activated by chance? The Firewall blocks DHCP servers by default, unless explicitly allowed.

Have you ever resolved this problem?

I am migrating an esxi environment to proxmox. For various reasons I have a debian DHCP server that I am trying to migrate from ESXI to Proxmox. VMs in proxmox were able to get IP addresses from the debian DHCP server when it was running in esxi host. When I migrated the DHCP VM to Proxmox, other proxmox VMs were unable to get an IP address.

Originally I had all firewalls off and it didn't work. I tried enabling firewalls and putting in allows for DHCP in Datacenter, host and DHCP VM, but that didn't help. Here are my settings:
At the datacenter level:
1721841932609.png
1721842140527.png

At the host (node) level:
1721841990685.png

1721842109355.png
At the DHCP server KVM level:
1721842037517.png
1721842069126.png

Last edited:
Here is Proxmox Network interfaces configuration:
1722782335524.png

Here is the DHCP KVMs hardware configuration:

1722782424170.png

The initial firewall configs were in previous post. Although right now in datacenter(cluster), host and KVM the firewalls are all disabled in the Firewall options at all three levels.

Last edited:
Added a second nic on the same subnet to proxmox host. Created vmbr1 and configured DHCP server to use bridge=vmbr1. Didn't help.

I figured it out. I am a dummy.

I had changed /etc/network/interfaces to the new network interface name after migrating from ESXI to Proxmox, just as I did for all the other migrated VMs. But I also needed to change /etc/default/isc-dhcp-server to point to the new network interface name. Now everything is working. Next steps to try and turn on firewalls.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!