Device mapper doesn't remove the device in a clustered setup

pws

Jul 22, 2011
Hi all

I'm running a Proxmox 1.8 cluster with DRBD, as described here: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/DRBD (Versions below)

I think I've found a problem with deleting virtual machines and volumes. I've been able to replicate it on a test cluster, so it's not just my system! My master proxmox host is called coquet, my second proxmox host is called loddont. Steps I took to replicate:

1. Create a new VM on coquet, with a 10Gb hard drive on the DRBD LVM volume group
2. Start the VM and live-migrate it to loddont and back to coquet again, so the LV gets marked as active on both hosts
3. Stop the VM
4. Run this on each host to find out what device mapper node the LV appears as: lvdisplay|awk '/LV Name/{n=$3} /Block device/{d=$3; sub(".*:","dm-",d); print d,n;}'
In my setup, it happens to appear as dm-8.
5. grep for that device mapper node in /proc/partitions in each host: grep dm-8 /proc/partitions
6. Delete the VM
7. Look in /proc/partitions again. You'll find that on coquet, the dm- entry has gone, but it's still there on loddont.

To see how this is a problem:
8. Create a new VM on loddont, but this time give it a 15Gb hard drive
9. Boot the VM and run a linux liveCD or something.
10. Look at dmesg or fdisk, and notice that it detects a 10Gb drive

I can fix this by either:
1) Rebooting the host with the bad mapping, or:
2) Stopping the VM and running 'dmsetup remove /dev/mapper/drbdvg-vm--106--disk--1' and then either re-activate the LV if I've create a new VM, or just remove the LV if I haven't. I don't know if these actions will cause problems though...

Can someone take a look at it please?

Thanks!

Phil

Versions:
running kernel: 2.6.35-1-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.35: 1.8-11
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-33
pve-kernel-2.6.35-1-pve: 2.6.35-11
qemu-server: 1.1-30
pve-firmware: 1.0-11
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-17
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.28-1pve1
vzdump: 1.2-14
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.14.1-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6

In clustered setups where LVM (even when cLVM is used) gets used it's always advisable to disable the LVM cache completely. This basically involves 2 steps: change write_cache_state to 0 in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf and remove the /etc/lvm/cache directory. This effectively forces LVM not to use cached data and always re-read state from disk. I think your system is confused because it uses the cached data.

Have you tried to simply run 'vgscan'? Please can you test if that fixes the problem?

I've tested, and this doesn't solve it:

loddont:~# vgscan
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
Found volume group "pve" using metadata type lvm2
Found volume group "drbdvg" using metadata type lvm2

and the problem still shows (the entry is still in /proc/partitions).

In clustered setups where LVM (even when cLVM is used) gets used it's always advisable to disable the LVM cache completely. This basically involves 2 steps: change write_cache_state to 0 in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf and remove the /etc/lvm/cache directory. This effectively forces LVM not to use cached data and always re-read state from disk. I think your system is confused because it uses the cached data.

Just tested this too, with the same method as above - no change, the problem still shows up in the same way.

But you can't see the logical volume?

Correct. Once I delete the VM, 'lvscan' on both machines shows that the LV has gone (it's not in the list). On the primary node, /proc/partitions no longer has the 'dm-' entry that was for that LV. On the secondary node, the dm- entry is still in /proc/partitions.

Seems linux does not update that correctly. I have no real idea how to fix that. Does that happen with kernel 2.6.32 too?

Yes, it does. I've just switched both of my testing nodes o 2.6.32-4-pve and re-done the test (from my first post). Still happens in just the same way.

The only way I've found to fix it is reboot the host, or use the 'dmsetup remove' line from my first post.

It would be great if you can track down the bug a bit more, i.e. does it occur on any kind of shared storage (iSCSI), or does it depend on DRBD?

It would be great if you can track down the bug a bit more, i.e. does it occur on any kind of shared storage (iSCSI), or does it depend on DRBD?

I've just created an ISCSI connection (based on FreeNAS, and following http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model#LVM_Groups_with_Network_Backing) - and it still does it (using the method I outlined in my first post). No DRBD anywhere in sight! Let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to try.

Can anyone else replicate this? Or is it just me?

I also have this problem with DRBD.
Have seen it described in the manner above, but also discovered a new way it can happen.

I have two DRBD volumes DRBD0 and DRBD1. each with their own LVM.
All VMs running on server A are stored on DRBD0 All VMs running on server B are stored on DRBD1.

Last night when Server B started backups, at the moment it made a snapshot DRBD1 went split brain.
I could not make DRBD1 go to secondary on server A to correct the split brain because something was holding open DRBD1 on server A
Tried to deactivate the volumes but in the end just like everyone else in this thread I had to reboot server A to release whatever is holding it open.

I am using 2.6.35, I see others are having this issue with 2.6.32 as well.
My LVM cache was disabled on both servers when this happened.

The only way to resolve such situation is to use 'dmsetup remove <device>'. But make sure you remove the right (stale) device.
We need to use clvm to avoid it completely (PVE V2.0 will have clvm enabled).

Thanks for looking into this dietmar :) We've now written a simple perl script that checks for inconsistency so we can manually fix it, and we eagarly await pve v2.0!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!