device-mapper and LVM on DRBD

DRVTiny

Feb 5, 2010
I have two nodes with /dev/drbd0 as a physical volume and volume group "replicated" on it.
When i create or rename logical volume in vg "replicated" on one node, it's appear on another, but only in the output of lvdisplay/lvscan/lvs.
/dev/replicated/ and /dev/mapper stays unchanged and live migration with such logical volumes not working. How to enforce device-mapper to reread logical volumes in volumegroup and recreate device nodes in /dev/mapper and symlinks in /dev/replicated?
vgchange -a n replicated && vgchange -a y replicated works for me, but it is too destructive...

PLEASE, help me. i need to recover my volume group after modifying metadata with standard lvm utilities, not with proxmox lvm metadata locking system (which is similar to clvm) :(

Last edited:
Because i need to stop all virtual machines running on the target node or live-migrate them everytime i made changes to the LVM manually.
You may have a question: why i need to do any changes manually? Because Proxmox cant resize virtual machine images on the LVM, but lvresize does it!

sorry, but I do not understand why 'vgchange -a y' is destructive?

Because it cause downtime of the services and downtimes is definitely destructive for bussiness!

Sigh, seems I do not understand you. Running 'vgchange -a y' does not cause any downtime here.
To activate volume group ("vgchange -a y") i need to deactivate it first ("vgchange -a n"), but i cant do it without halting all virtual machines and maybe all Proxmox services too!

I did recover my LVM and DRBD, but again i dont know how. One recomendation is to disable "primary-on-both" temporary and try to recover as it was Primary/Secondary split-brain, not Primary/Primary.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!