/dev/mapper/pve-root is full

Rune2504

Feb 2, 2023
Hello,

So I have used proxmox for 1 week now and I really enjoy it. But my disk for Proxmox is apparently full, and as I checked up on this, I can see, that /dev/mapper/pve-root is taking up all my space.

I have no experience in servers, i'm very new to this, so all help I can get is appreciated. See attached picture of the pve-root using 94Gb of space.

Thank you for your help.

pve-root.png

Thank you for the help already!

I'm not allowed to install ncdu. When I try, I get the "No such file or directory" failure. I have tried to google this problem without luck.

pve-root.png

You probably can't install it because your root filesystem is read-only because it is 100% full.
Browse your folders with cd .., cd YourSubfolder and ls -la and try to find what consumes all that space. Good point to start would be "/var/log", "/mnt", "/var/tmp" and "/var/lib/vz".

var log.png

Thank you so much guys. I can now see that it's my "log" that takes up 90Gb. How do I clear the log files?

How do I clear the log files?
You can destroy files with the rm /path/to/file command. Files ending with ".1", ".2", ".3", ".gz" should be safe to delete.
But just deleting your logs won't help. you should read your logs and find out what is spamming the log files and solve that problem. Otherwise your logs will continue to grow and you run out of space soon again.

Reactions: Keyakinan and Sasha
BTW, don't know if this even ties to your situation, but I *just* had this same problem recur and revealed it be a super-dummy on me situation

I had dumped the devault thin storage pool for my home setup, did the *lvresize* of the root - but not the *fs* resize. It was just kinda this little ticking bomb waiting to go off becuase my base setup for my system was probably using around 90-95GB of a 100GB default partition, then the logs slowly started filling it up while everything ran just fine...until it didn't. And none of the solutions i found fixed my problem, *UNTIL* I realized I hadn't done the fs resize when I built it a couple of months ago. Total dummy on me.

In my case, I had no web ui and when i ran
Code:
pveversion
from command line I got
Code:
Write error - write (28: No space left on device)

Turns out my var/log files kept growing and took all the space because I didnt setup any log rotation. I deleted the log files and add this config to
Code:
/etc/systemd/journald.conf

Code:
[Journal]
SystemMaxUse=1G
RuntimeMaxUse=1G
MaxRetentionSec=3month

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!