/dev/mapper/pve-root is full

Tittan

Sep 27, 2021
Hello to all,

I'm new to Proxmox. That said, I have a 3-node Ceph cluster that is saying one of the hosts is out of the quorum because lack of file system space.

All the 3 nodes are installed in 3 USB 32GB Pens.

As far as I can understand, I guess that the folder that is full is /var/log/... but I don't really know if I can and what I can safely delete here?

And after the filesystem gets space again, how I can prevent this from happening again? It is not supposed to log do a regular rotation?

Thanks to all for reading this, any help would be very appreciated.

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2022-08-31 095345.jpg
    Captura de ecrã 2022-08-31 095345.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Captura de ecrã 2022-08-31 100738.jpg
    Captura de ecrã 2022-08-31 100738.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 16
All the 3 nodes are installed in 3 USB 32GB Pens.
Don`t do that. PVE writes a lot (many GBs per day) and will kill those Pen drives in no time. Only use SSDs or HDDs that can handle these writes.
As far as I can understand, I guess that the folder that is full is /var/log/... but I don't really know if I can and what I can safely delete here?
Everything ending with a ".1", ".2", ".3" or ".gz" can be deleted without a problem.
And after the filesystem gets space again, how I can prevent this from happening again? It is not supposed to log do a regular rotation?
Its already rotating. You might want to change log rotation settings so it keeps less logs: https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rados/troubleshooting/log-and-debug/
And did you read all your logs? When logs are writing GBs of data the problem usually isn`t that your log rotation isn'T working, but there is a problem which spams the logs. So you shouldn`t ignore those logs but find the problem and fix it.

Reactions: Neobin and Tittan

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!