/dev/mapper/pve-data time out during boot, after newfs lvm-thin as ext4

Maren

Oct 12, 2016
Proxmox 6
I need to run the storage as local and and converted lvm-thin to ext4 by newfs /dev/mapper/pve-data then mounted it as /var/lib/vz in fstab
I have added the entry
/dev/mapper/pve-data /var/lib/vz/ ext4 defaults 0 1

also tried
/dev/mapper/pve-data /var/lib/vz/ ext4 defaults 0 0

systemd gives me a timeout error at boot up.
dev-mapper-pve\x2ddata.device: Job dev-mapper-pve\xddata.device/start time out.
Timed out waiting for device /dev/mapper/pve-data

fsck is clean.
After I go into recovery mode and do a mount -a it works fine...

I can't run zfs as my raid controller won't allow it (HP Proliant)

I need to run the storage as local and and converted lvm-thin to ext4 by newfs /dev/mapper/pve-data then mounted it as /var/lib/vz in fstab
Please don't format a thin-pool with a filesystem directly! This only causes confusion (both for people in this forum like myself, and for the system when it tries to boot up):
* a thinpool is a logical volume inside which you create thinly provisioned logical volumes (in that respect it acts more as a volume group)
* if you want to remove the thinpool and use it as ext4 directory storage - remove it with `lvremove` and create a regular ('thick') LV - which you can then format

Keep in mind that all those operations may destroy data (some definitely will) - so make sure you have a working backup!

Else the concepts of LVM are quite well explained in the wiki-entry of ArchLinux: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LVM

I hope this helps!

Reactions: Maren
Glad that explained things! please mark the thread as 'SOLVED' - it helps others in similar situations.
Thanks!

I solved by by deleting and creating the LVM.... You have to get to total storage available when you create the thick LVM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!