[SOLVED] /dev/centos/root does not exist after migrating CentOS7 from vmware to proxmox VE

wong

Dec 21, 2020

and imported this into proxmox VE. Upon booting I get the following errors:​

1608512779705.png

1608513041991.png

Maybe you could reinitialize initramfs with dracut -f --regenerate-all if i'm not mistaken? You can do that with safe mode,or ISO.
Regards,

same error. suddenly we yust reboot proxmox and than this error occurse.
what can we do?
centos7 rescue did not find any disk.
we move the disk to qcow2 format and mount it from the proxmox host (/var/liv/vz/....)...partitions are there and data are there.

btw:
many thanks
in rescue
blkid did not show the disks.

Last edited:
ok we change the type of SCSI Controler to LS and back to VirtIO, now with rescue boot we can do
vgchange -ay
but it says refusing activation of partial LV centos/root

reboot centos7 normal still hung on dracut with
/dev/centos/root not found

2021-06-11 11_46_14-cluster26 - Proxmox Virtual Environment.png

we got it:
we do
vgextend --restoremissing <volume group> <physical volume>
this works.
confusing because lvdisplay shows no missing PV

vgextend --restoremissing <volume group> <physical volume>
@TheMrg I know this is a little old of a thread, but I am running into this same problem, and my CentOS7 machine boots and operates fine in recovery mode. I am trying to follow your solution here, but am hitting a wall. Can you provide more details on how you did this?

Here is the drive layout

sda
sda1 part /boot/efi
sda2 part /boot
sda3 part
centos-root lvm /
centos-swap lvm [SWAP]
centos-home lvm /home

Using the above, when you say <v_g> versus <p_v> are you referring to running the command like this:

vgextend --restoremissing sda1 sda

Or am i missing something?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!