Detaching a supposedly unused disk causes Proxmox crash and VM unable to start

mish

Feb 28, 2021
Hi,

I'm fairly new to Proxmox VE but I have a decent amount of experience using VmWare vCenter/vSphere/ESXi.

When I created my VM I created a 32GB disk to be used as storage for the VM, however I now don't think I actually need it as I'm able to do what I need to with that VM without even mounting this disk.

I created the VM using a .img file, figuring (naively I'm sure) that it would operate very similarly to a .iso. However, rather than simply being an installation disk the whole VM seems to run from that disk.

So considering the VM operates perfectly fine with just the 7G drive that the .img was/is on, I was hoping to simply detach the unused 32GB disk and reclaim the storage. However, if I detach the disk not only will the VM fail to boot, all of Proxmox will start to hang and will not function properly until I physically restart the server.

There is an error in the gui that implies there may be something wrong with the start up command (i.e. that it includes a mention of this drive that is now detached).

I would be happy to supply logs if needed (which I expect they will be) but will probably wait to provide them until requested as I'd rather not purposefully crash everything right now :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this

When I say that the disk is not mounted this is what I mean:

minerstat@MiningServer:~/minerstat-os$ lsblk NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sda 8:0 0 32G 0 disk sdb 8:16 0 7G 0 disk ├─sdb1 8:17 0 6,8G 0 part / ├─sdb2 8:18 0 20M 0 part /media/storage ├─sdb3 8:19 0 268M 0 part /boot/efi └─sdb4 8:20 0 20M 0 part sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!