Destination Host Prohibited

Jobet

May 4, 2020
Hi,

Just installed my first Promox server! (ver. 6.1-7)

Installed in a LAN using 192.168.1.0/24 network and created a first VM (Ubuntu 18.04).

Trying to ping an internet IP (8.8.8.8) from the VM console, an error shows up:
"Destination Host Prohibited"

I checked right away if any firewall was enabled, but it seems that all firewalls (Datacenter, Proxmox node, and VM's) are disabled...

Read all docs I've found in Proxmox's website, and searched on Forums as well...

Both Proxmox server and VM are able to ping internal IPs (gateway included).

Using bridged mode, here's Proxmox server /etc/networks/interfaces output:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.99
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
bridge_ports eno1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any advice!

Best regards,
Roberto Jobet

Hi,

how is the network setting within your VM?
does it get its IP via dhcp or static?

what about firewall-rules/ mac-filters on your gateway?
Maybe the gw is blocking?

Can you ping from the Proxmox-Host to any destination?

Hi,
Thanks for your reply!

1) Static IP
2) No FW rules on gateway (all other LAN devices run smoothly using this same gateway)
3) Can ping only internal IPs...

As this a brand new server (Dell T40) Just to check if it wasn't a hardware issue, I wiped off Proxmox setup and I installed Debian 10.
With Debian everything works fine! (can ping any internet IP, download any file using wget...)

So I presume that this is a Proxmox issue...

I will reinstall Proxmox (last downloadable version 6.1-2) and I'll let you know if it works!

@gmed
I've found out the issue!
In my router's DHCP server I setup a lease range between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.50, For the Proxmox server I was using a static IP address 192.168.1.100 (so outside from the DHCP range)... that was the problem....
Everything runs fine setting up an IP address that is included in the DHCP range!
Thanks anyway for your help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!