Denying the VM Access to the LAN

mashroofa

Jun 6, 2022
What im trying to achieve is to have a VM that has no way of communicating with the rest of the devices on the LAN.

The configuration below seems to work but i wanted some of your thoughts on it.
1656949856062.png
My aim to have the VM accessible by another person using a remote tool (e.g., AnyDesk) but prevent them (or malicius actors) from interfeering with other devices on my home network. Moreover, i want to achieve this without VLANS.

After applying the above firewall rule, using NMAP (within the VM) i was only able to list my home devices IPs and MAC addresses but not see their open ports. Is this secure enough?

Many thanks for the feedback!

I would create a DMZ subnet with its own bridge not conencted to a physical NIC, setup a OPNsense VM and let it route between LAN and DMZ using virtual NICs.

Last edited:
I would create a DMZ subnet with its own bridge not conencted to a physical NIC, setup a OPNsense VM and let it route between LAN and DMZ using virtual NICs.
Thank you for the information, but since my use case is simple i dont want to go into setting up something "more complex". So what is your idea about how i approach this with the firewall rules?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!