Dell T320 + H710 Proxmox Disk Configuration

aqwserf

Nov 25, 2019
Hello,
I bought a Dell T320 with a H710 raid card.
I already have 3 SSD disks (250GB) and I plan to buy 5 more HDD disks (between 2 and 4To).
My main usage will be to have a bunch of VM for daily use (OMV, Log (graylog?)..., and others for pentesting labs (windows desktop/server...).
For my OMV, I'd like it to have as space as possible (at least 10To), so my first guess was to:
  • SSD in RAID 0 for Proxmox + VM
  • HDD in RAID5 (plus spare) and create a extra virtual disk for my OMV
But I don't know if it's appropriate (specially the additional layer with the virtual disk).

Is anybody has a better idea for my configuration ?

Thank you!

SSD in RAID 0 for Proxmox + VM
Don't do that!
If one of the SSDs will fail, and one will fail at some point, the whole server will be down and you will have data loss.

Thanks aaron for your reply.
I'm aware of that. I was thinking about this configuration because I plan to backup all my VM on the HDD RAID5, but you're right about the Proxmox itself.
As I only have 3*250Go of SSD for my system+vm, and as I plan to have at least 15/20VM (Linux+Windows), I thought it wouldn't be enought with a RAID5 (~500Go), but after considering it, maybe it could be enought.

Do you have any thought about that ? Or about my configuration in general ?

Well, it doesn't sound too bad besides the RAID 0 ;)
If you need more space on your SSD Raid you will have to get more or/and bigger SSDs. :/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!