Dell Server for Proxmox

marianh

Sep 11, 2017
Hi,

I plan to get Dell Power Edge T340 server and I will run Proxmox on it.
My current setup uses ZFS and I will likely want to keep that (i.e. not use HW raid).
I will probably have 2x mirrored system HDDs + 4x data HDDs in RAIDZ-2 setup + 2x single HDDs for workstations backup & on-the-fly container backups.

What's the correct RAID/storage controller for that - HBA 330 or PERC H330?

Are there any HW considerations to address to make this server run well with Proxmox?

Thnks!

hi,
you need the HBA controller for direct access with zfs.
I'm using some Dell R440 with hba330 without problems.
the perc is an hw-raid crontroller which you don't want with zfs.

Reactions: marianh
Thnks.
As I can define which HW I buy, I still understand it after your response that HBA 330 is better option.

The server is for my small business and home use without any huge load (some cameras, home control, git server - replacement for 10y old Dell server which is performant enough just too power hungry), I need reliability and data safety more than performance and in my understanding ZFS (and regular backup, of course) is good for that so I do not foresee wanting HW raid.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!