DELL R450 - storage configuration help

glerin

Dec 14, 2020
Hello,
as a beginner with proxmox i would need advice. I received from a client DELL R450 with 128GB RAM, PERC H755 and one 480GB SATA SSD. Server allows to install 8 drives.
He would like to virtualize 2 windows servers:
- first one for AD and SQL database.....now on old server with 2x300GB 15k SAS, SQL databases about 50GB together
- second one for data sharing and gfi mailserver.....now on an even older server with 2x1TB raid1 SATA drives

I had an idea that I would switch the controller to HBA and solve everything within proxmox.
1. I will buy a second 480 SATA SSD (and prosupport warranty for server), create a mirror and install proxmox on this mirror and it will also serve as storage for both WS2022 installation, in the case of the first server including SQL storage.

2. I will buy additional disks for shared data and mailserver storage. And for backups too (the next backup will be on Synology NAS)
And here I need advice. You rather recommend one large array from multiple disks, due to the price and lower speed requirements probably SAS 10k, and use this array for everything else (data for VMs, backups)? Or separate it more "physically" and use for example two mirrors from two drives?

And the last question - how memory intensive is ZFS? The second server needs 12GB of RAM, the first server "as much as possible".
Thanks so much for any advice.

Jan

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!