[SOLVED] Dell Precision 5280 completely broken after allow IOMMU passthrough

khanhlpbao

Aug 30, 2023
SOLVED: The problem is because my Bios still enable Legacy boot. After turn it off the passthrough occured perfectly. Thanks a lot to Merlin GPT to tell me how to see the log and search for error returned during boot.

I just installed proxmox and I tried to make a setup like this:
- The computer boot up
- Win10 VM started
- The GPU (Nvidia Quadro P2000) showed the screen of win10 VM and I worked on it since I used to win10 than Debian

However, after do everything I found on every topic related to this problem, everytime the win10 VM started the monitor screen become black and entered safe mode. I also followed every link I found on google but after each applied the situation become worse and worse. Now everytime boot up Proxmox stuck at this (even though I can access to the server and work with VM)
unnamed.jpg

The win10 VM after I disabled the Default display, only left quadpro now console also stopped at Guest has not initialized the display (yet) and even changed machine from q35 to default I cannot make it showed.
Can anyone help me? I'm ery desparated, this workstation has more price than my entire year of salary and my boss will not happy when he returned and see that I delete the win10 OS and cannot even boot to perform presentation.
This is the configuration of win10 VM

Code:
audio0: device=ich9-intel-hda,driver=none
balloon: 8192
bios: seabios
boot: order=sata0
cores: 2
cpu: x86-64-v2-AES
hostpci0: 0000:65:00,rombar=0,x-vga=1
hotplug: disk,network,usb,cpu
ide2: none,media=cdrom
machine: q35
memory: 10240
meta: creation-qemu=8.0.2,ctime=1692957086
name: KHL01
net0: e1000=1A:FE:B2:42:A1:1C,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: other
sata0: SSD:100/vm-100-disk-1.raw,size=150G,ssd=1
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=c6d5d937-5b9c-4eb5-b212-af9566492bac
sockets: 2
spice_enhancements: foldersharing=1,videostreaming=all
usb0: spice,usb3=1
vga: qxl,memory=144
vmgenid: 2b4d1f85-649a-4887-b8cd-4ab0b86fbc63
vmstatestorage: HDD_2

This is the grub configuration now
Code:
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction nofb nomodeset video=efifb:off video=vesafb:off"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# If your computer has multiple operating systems installed, then you
# probably want to run os-prober. However, if your computer is a host
# for guest OSes installed via LVM or raw disk devices, running
# os-prober can cause damage to those guest OSes as it mounts
# filesystems to look for things.
#GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal
GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"

Last edited:
Are you sure your Dell Precision 5820 uses Grub? I have a similar device and the installer recognized it uses Systemd.

Also is your booting UEFI mode per your Q35, then the bios should be set owf-uefi...I am not at my computer to say exactly but seabios I would not use...good luck!

Surprised no one helped earlier.

Are you sure your Dell Precision 5820 uses Grub? I have a similar device and the installer recognized it uses Systemd.

Also is your booting UEFI mode per your Q35, then the bios should be set owf-uefi...I am not at my computer to say exactly but seabios I would not use...good luck!

Surprised no one helped earlier.
I already installed Ubuntu before so I’ using grub. Also when setting to uefi its also not work, the uefi drive bot found any boot up script

I’m not a spam, I’m very despair right bow. I followed everything I can click on google abd everytime I copy the setup on the answer, the situation become worse. PLEASE HELP ME

After a lot of time, finally I found that the workstation’s BIOS still enable Legacy boot. After deselect Enable Legacy Boot on BIOS, right after Proxmox be booted the UEFI Boot screen of Proxmox appeared and my Win10 VM appeared.
Thanks a lot to Merlin GPT to teach me to read the result of booting and then search for solution insividualy.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!