Dell Perc pveperf values

gbr

May 13, 2012
Hi,

I've inherited a Dell Perc controller that identifies as an LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 08)
My pveperf numbers are not very good on it. Any ideas?

root@proxmox-3:~# pveperf /local
CPU BOGOMIPS: 19999.36
REGEX/SECOND: 968742
HD SIZE: 687.17 GB (/dev/sdc1)
BUFFERED READS: 74.98 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 11.85 ms
FSYNCS/SECOND: 48.64
DNS EXT: 27.80 ms
DNS INT: 0.65 ms

Gerald

Yes, you need to activate the "write back" cache, not write trough. But you need to protect that cache with a BBU, or have the perc controller that has the non-volatile version of the cache (or something like that).
The raid controller disables the hard disk "on board cache" since they can loose data in case of powerloss, and does not enable the write back for the same reason. If you have BBU then you can safely enable and your values will jump > 2500 FSYNC/sec

That's a good question actually. I don't have the original paperwork for these machines, so I don't know if BBU is on them or not. Time to do more research.

Gerald

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!