DELL PERC H355 and H755 Raid controller support

Hi Nicola,

I did an installation today on a Dell R250 with a PERC H355 controller. What I understand is that the H355 is not supported so I have set up the disks in 'Non-RAID mode' and installed Proxmox 7.1 with ZFS RAID 1 on 2 disks. So far it looks like it runs just fine. I have tested to boot with first just one disk inserted and then the other way around and it works as expected.

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
Hi Nicola,
did you find the answer to your question?

I am also considering the purchase of a server with the h755 controller, but I must be sure I can use at least one raid1
Thanks!

Lapo Cerchiai

I hope yes. I've checked and checked. Officialy on Dell SIte the R350 is supported by Canonical Ubuntu Server LTS 20.04 and 22.04 i immagine.
also the support answered me:
Hi,

We don't keep a hardware compatibility list. But PVE 7.2 uses a 5.15 kernel that's based on the one in Ubuntu 22.04.
If those servers are compatible with Ubuntu 22.04, they should be compatible with PVE 7.2 as well.

Hi Nicola,
thank you very much for your reply!

I had made the same consideration, and confirmation from Proxmox support encourages me.
I'm still looking for more information. If I find something I will update you here

I know this is an old post but I thought I'd share my experience...
I have two Dell R350's with 4 x 1TB SAS drives and the PERC H355 RAID adapter. I created a RAID10 and installed Proxmox without issue using EXT4 and LVM.

I can't say I've tested performance much but the system does seem stable. Unfortunately Proxmox and VMs all share the same LVM.

I'm kinda disappointed I don't have more SAS drives to go with ZFS. Ideally I'd have liked to have Proxmox installed on a hardware RAID1 and then have 4 disks directly presented to Proxmox for use with ZFS or Ceph - That way I could do some nice high-availability stuff. Sadly budget doesn't allow. At best I could get 1 x small SAS drive for just Proxmox to be installed on with no RAID. I'm considering it but for now I'm using the above config.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!