Deleted datastore holds filesystem and speed question

bomzh

Mar 16, 2021
Greetings Proxmox developers and users!

First of all, I would like to thank Proxmox team for PBS - we just started using it within our infrastructure and so far we see great results.

Just to share: our new shiny backup server is built on Supermicro 2U platform, 2 x Xeon 4214R CPUs, 128GB RAM. Backup pool is built using 12 x 14TB HGST SAS drives with ZFS RAIDZ-3, 11 drives used for RAIDZ-3, one SAS drive is hot-spare (we want to see all storage available under one single pool). This pool is also backed by 2 x Intel NVME SSD drives for log and cache devices - all together this allows us to achieve 1.5-2 gigabytes/sec write speeds on ZFS. This PBS is connected using 2 x 10G ethernet (bond) into same network switch where main cluster nodes reside (also using 10G networking). Total 98 terabytes of storage avail.

As a new PBS user I have two questions so far:

1) We just did some initial tests doing backups from our Proxmox cluster. For this purpose I created zfs dataset under main pool, it's called "saspool/testbackup". After that, I added new datastore under PBS and connected Proxmox cluster to that datastore. Everything works as expected, however after finishing with our tests I decided to create a new datastore and remove the test one. There were no problems with removing datastore from PBS GUI, however I cannot destroy the "saspool/testbackup" zfs dataset on the server itself:

# zfs destroy saspool/testbackup cannot unmount '/saspool/testbackup': unmount failed #

obviously something is using this filesystem path and here's my findings:

# lsof -n /saspool/testbackup COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME proxmox-b 3386 backup 20u REG 0,55 0 3 /saspool/testbackup/.lock #

How do I find out why PBS is still using this dataset and what's the best way to get rid of this lock so that I can destroy this ZFS dataset?

2) Question regarding backup speeds. As written above, we're using 10G network and ZFS pool itself allows to see 1GB/s+ write speeds. However I noticed that we're getting 100-110MiB/s when backup to PBS occurs, which is not bad of course, but could be better. And my next finding was that when I launch backup on 3-node cluster (so 3 backup jobs run in parallel, one from each node) I also see same 100-110MiB/s speeds from each node, making it 300-330 MiB/s total write speed to PBS. This leads me to question if there's some tunable that sets this 100-110MiB/s speed limit?

cheers,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!