delete data/disks on ceph storage

Falk

Jan 19, 2015
Hi everybody,
I'm sure someone else had this problem before, but i can't find a solution anywhere.

I'm planning to setup a new proxmox cluster at work including ceph storage. At the moment I'm testing on private machines, especially because i have to use existing/running servers and new ones. But that's not where the problem occurs.
To get in touch with ceph i installed a new Proxmox Server (5.0-30) with two disk. 160GB where the system is installed and unused 3TB HDD for ceph.
I created a cluster and the test server joined a single running Proxmox Server (also 5.0-30).

I followed the (really good) video tutorial posted by Proxmox on youtube to configure ceph and everything seems to work. (ignoring the fact that a single server does't make much sense)

After a few VMs I created i noticed that I am unable to delete data stored on the ceph storage. I'm unable to do anything using the GUI. The Buttons "Restore, Remove, Templates, Upload Show Configuration" are greyed out.
Anybody know how to change this behaviour? If not, how do i delete date from ceph storage using the console?

Thanks!

Falk

After a few VMs I created i noticed that I am unable to delete data stored on the ceph storage. I'm unable to do anything using the GUI. The Buttons "Restore, Remove, Templates, Upload Show Configuration" are greyed out.
Anybody know how to change this behaviour? If not, how do i delete date from ceph storage using the console?
from the view there you cannot delete vm disks, this has to happen in the hardware tab of the respective vm/container

the buttons restore/remove are only for backups/isos/templates

Thanks for your reply, after setting up a clean cluster everything worked as expected. But when I Migrate a disk and abort the operation, i have the unfinished disk on my ceph storage, without a vm that uses it. How can I remove this disk?

You can manage RBD obejcts from command line with rbd commands, i.e.
Code:
 rbd list -p <poolname>
you get a list of every RBD object stored in the ceph pool
Code:
 rbd du -p <poolname>
you get size of every RBD object of the pool
and so on

Have a look at man rbd

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!