Delaying VM boot quite confusing.

jaxjexjox

Mar 25, 2022
I was having issues, where all my machines would take 300 seconds before they even started to try and boot.

I found this command.
pvenode config set --startall-onboot-delay 10

In an attempt to try and retain staggering of boots, but bring the initial boot attempt down to something more reasonable.
This has now resulted, in the "Start/Shutdown" order options to not be honoured by the system, it just starts all VMs.

I just want VM #1 to start after 10 seconds.
VM#2 (LXC actually) to start after 20
and VM#3 to not start for at least 90 seconds.

How on earth do I do this, because as I said "Start/Shutdown" is no longer being honoured.
Because my VM#3 has been up for 2 minutes right now with
order=3,up=300

Despite proxmox only being up for 4 minutes as I type this

Any tips?

In case you haven't found a good fix for it yet, and in any case, for completeness' sake:

This setting may be a bit counter intuitive, but the startup delay for a VM does not delay the startup for this specific VM, but for the next VM coming after it in the startup order.
You can set how long the delay for the first VM should be via the startall-onboot-delay.

For example, for your configuration, the desired configuration would be:
  1. startall-onboot-delay: 10
  2. VM #1, order: 1 - startup-delay: 20
  3. VM #2, order: 2 - startup-delay: 90
  4. VM #3, order: 3

There is no shutdown delay as far as I am aware. The shutdown timeout is just a setting to configure how long PVE should wait for a VM to go through the shutdown process before it gets stopped forcefully. VMs that have a startup order configured will be shut down in the reverse order.

From the documentation:
Shutdown timeout: Defines the duration in seconds Proxmox VE should wait for the VM to be offline after issuing a shutdown command. By default this value is set to 180, which means that Proxmox VE will issue a shutdown request and wait 180 seconds for the machine to be offline. If the machine is still online after the timeout it will be stopped forcefully

Last edited:
Reactions: bluepr0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!