Delay start of a VM

jaytee129

Jun 16, 2022
Despite having configured a VM to start second and wait 300 secs

1655842197048.png

it starts as soon as I boot up. Why doesn't the delay work?

Hi,

the delays are always from the start of the previous VM ordering, if there was none (i.e., the VM is the first one to be started) it won't get delayed as there's nothing "previous" to delay it from.

What you can use for that instead is the node-specific "Start on Boot Delay" option, it exists since a while in the backend but was also added as GUI option recently (7.2 IIRC):
1655877424902.png

Thanks for the reply. I don't see a "Start on boot delay". I only see a "Start at Boot" (Y/N). Am on version 7.2-3.

1655898833390.png

1655898678566.png

Select your node (thibworldpx) on the left and then in the middle "Options" (a sub-point under "System"). There it is on the right.

Idk when this was introduced, but I have it there with 7.2-4.

Would recommend to update the host and maybe even restart it and/or clear your browser cache.

I have a problem with this option: one of the external storage takes up to 450 seconds to become available. So when I try to set this option to 450, Proxmox says: "The maximum value for this field is 300". Is there a way to reset this value above 300 seconds, outside of the web interface?
1662986685582.png
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

I have a problem with this option: one of the external storage takes up to 450 seconds to become available. So when I try to set this option to 450, Proxmox says: "The maximum value for this field is 300". Is there a way to reset this value above 300 seconds, outside of the web interface?
View attachment 41005
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

If the storage takes less than 300 seconds to start, then all the Proxmox VMs that are stored on that external storage start perfectly fine, without problems. But if external storage takes more than 300 seconds, then all VMs fail to start.

That's my problem, and I thought I'd fix it by setting the value a bit higher than 300 seconds

Hello again.
Well... I finally solved this, creating an dummy LXC, which uses only local storage (no external storages resources), with start order 1, and startup delay of 450 seconds.
Then all other LXCs and VMs have boot order 2 and higher, and whatever delays are needed.

But with this, I make sure that the waiting times, necessary in my case for the external storage to be online, are fulfilled, and that it is not an impediment for the automatic start of each one of them.

Regards!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!