Default Proxmox Firewall Settings

Nov 11, 2020
Morning,
So I would like to compartmentalize my containers in proxmox with the proxmox firewall. Currently in datacenter options I have:
firewall=no
If I modify this to firewall=yes with firewall options out ACCEPT and in ACCEPT in the firewall tab in the datacenter, is this the same rules as when I have firewall=no ?
2021-02-08_13-40.png

Essentially, when I activate the firewall I want to be sure I have the same rules as I currently do then build on top of them. If ACCEPT ACCEPT is going to open every port, thats OK but what I dont want to happen is every port is closed when I turn it on. Thus this question is about the default firewall state with firewall=no and the effect of exactly what happens with IPtables when I set firewall=yes

Best wishes,
Sean

The firewall can be enabled on a node and guest layer. Whatever is configured on the Datacenter level will be applied to the nodes, but not the guests. If you don't enable the firewall for the nodes, they will not be affected.

If you enable the firewall on a node level, you will see that there will be some default rules applied that will enable you to access the node from the local network. Should you do need to access the node from another network, you will have to create some rules that allow that.

Have you checked out the documentation for the firewall?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!