Default install defaulting to system.d???

RMDrinan

Mar 19, 2022
I recently installed Proxmox 8 in a homelab. I had used Proxmox 7.x in the past and easily configured PCI passthrough - passing a disk to a virtual Proxmox backup VM, etc.
I have 4 HP Z series machines - the latest being a Z6 G4. I had used the other 3 (Z440, Z240, Z230) with Proxmox 7 and enabled IOMMU with zero fuss - maybe 6 months ago? With the latest V8, I decided to setup the lab again and I was pulling my hair out trying to get IOMMU enabled. I use the default install - which defaults to ext4 and I did it on all 4 machines - verifying BIOS configs before starting. I even was using sed to update /etc/default/grub and /etc/modules so I could copy/paste after triple-checking I had the right syntax and options, etc. I eventually even tried going back to a 7.4 and a 7.1 Proxmox install - on the Z6 at least. Nothing worked until I finally found that even though the install was using ext4, it was using system.d so my grub edits were being ignored....
I have never selected zfs for the install (since I don't know it well) but at this point I tried it -using raid1 on 2 nvme drives. I followed the IOMMU enable instructions for system.d and it worked the first time - after probably 20 different default installs - different disks and machines. The only thing I can think of is that I have updated the HP BIOS that made a difference? When I installed Proxmox 7.1 AND did not do any updates at all, I figured I would be using the same (or older) kernel that I used in the past so it shouldn't be that.
So, I probably can now force the other 3 machines to use system.d (zfs) on the install, but am curious if anyone can explain why this is happening now when the same procedures I used in the past - updating /etc/default/grub and /etc/modules doesn't matter - since I was using grub by default before?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!