Default Firewall Ports and Documentation Bug?

Apr 17, 2020
The documentation at https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Firewall seems to indicate that "If you enable the firewall, traffic to all hosts is blocked by default. Only exceptions is WebGUI(8006) and ssh(22) from your local network." ports 8006 and 22 are allowed by default when enabling the firewall. On the current non subscription release this doesn't appear to be true. Enabling the firewall blocks access to PVE on ports 8006 and 22.

Trying to figure out if I'm misreading the documentation or if that's out of date.

Hi,

Trying to figure out if I'm misreading the documentation or if that's out of date.

No, pve-firewall block all traffic except 8086 and 22

Please check your firewall rules and post output PVE version pveversion -v.

You can see the allow ports with command:
iptables -S | grep 'RETURN' | grep 'dport'

I see what I did wrong now, I'm accessing the box over a VPN and while it's landing me behind the same firewall the VPN is on a different subnet. When I had tried running in "iptables -L" earlier I was getting no results back but I must have done it before I turned on the firewall.

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!