[SOLVED] Deduplication Factor Explanation

Donovan Hoare

Nov 16, 2017
Hi All.
I have searched and googled, I would like to know what the deduplication factor shown on the summary means.
My deduplication factor on a data store is currently 10.77

I have no idea if that's good or bad.
And does that mean 10.77% of data is deduplicated?

If someone could please maybe explain it would be helpful
This particular datastore has 22 windows vm's in it

Thanks for any help

I have no idea if that's good or bad.
And does that mean 10.77% of data is deduplicated?
It means that if there was no deduplication you'd need 10.77 times as much space with the same backups as you do now.
As example, if you would use 50 GiB of storage now, you'd use 500 GiB without duplication.

A factor >>1 means always there was space saved by deduplication.

It means that if there was no deduplication you'd need 10.77 times as much space with the same backups as you do now.
As example, if you would use 50 GiB of storage now, you'd use 500 GiB without duplication.

A factor >>1 means always there was space saved by deduplication.
Thanks this is exaclty what i needed. I cant se how to mark thread as solved on this one

I think something changed and after X days threads and posts become uneditable. At least I'm also often not able to edit older threads or posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neobin
Already got it, there's a time limit setting now for normal users by default, was set to 7 days. For now, I upped it to 5 weeks (there are some spammer sleeper accounts that make edits after a while to sneak in junk links, so juft for that it should be worth it; and 5 weeks is quite a bit of time and should cover most threads/post just fine).

Reactions: Neobin and Dunuin
1 weeks was really a bit short.
Is it maybe possible to give some additional rights for users who have proven to not be spammers? For example additional edit timespan after 25 posts or something like that? I would guess spammers wouldn't invest so much time in writing real on topic posts, just to sneak in some links later.

And maybe there should be a "I'm a bot" category. The bots writing here, really like to tag threads with the "Tutorial" category ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!