Debian Buster 10.2 install with UEFI Secure Boot - ProxMox install fails

stuartbh

Dec 2, 2019
ProxMox users,

I recently install Debian Buster 10.2 using UEFI + Secure Boot. I then did the installation of ProxMox and when it rebooted it was unable to boot up. Can anyone tell me, does ProxMox support being installed on a Debian Buster system that was already installed using UEFI + Secure Boot?

Thanks,

Stuart

hi,

can you try disabling secure boot?

Oguz, et alia:

I wanted to just add some granularity to what I did.

1) I installed Debian Buster 10.2 using the Debian ISO with secure boot
2) I updated the OS
3) I added the ProxMox repos
4) I installed ProxMox using apt-get (or apt or whatever I used).

There was ambiguity as to what to accept in terms of the grub configuration file it offered in order for secure boot to remain persistent in succession to the ProxMox installation. I tried several things but could not work out yet what the proper methodology was for the installation to be functional with secure boot. I believe their should be an incumbancy upon the installer to detect (it surely can) if Debian was installed using secure boot and pivot appropriately to support that scenario (it does not).

The foregoing notwithstanding, when Debian was installed (using the same ISO alluded to above) absent secure boot and the same installation procedure is exacted everything works fine.

Thanks,

Stuart

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!