Debian 9 Container, sometimes no prompt after logging out.

David Payne

Mar 4, 2019
Hi,

I'm testing the Debian 9 container:

debian-9.0-standard_9.7-1_amd64.tar.gz

I'm having an issue with the console in the Proxmox UI. Sometimes, after logging out of the console, I am unable to log back in again. Here is the first screenshot where I logged out:

Screenshot_20190304_002258.png
If I close the window and open the console again, I get an empty console with just the cursor:

Screenshot_20190304_002408.png

If I have ssh configured I don't have any problem accessing the container via ssh.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks,

David

Normally the console returns if you press enter. Have you tried this?

Yes, I have tried this. If I press, enter, or any other keys the input shows up in the console, but it does not prompt me for the username or password.

Do you have some ~/.bash_logout scripts? Any error in the syslog?

Is there still the getty process claiming the virtual terminals present? You can list them via

Code:
$ ps auxf | grep 1000 -A10

To show container 1000 and its processes but limited to 10 processes

Do you have some ~/.bash_logout scripts? Any error in the syslog?

I didn't add anything to the ~/.bash_logout script that didn't come with the container. I'm only testing. For this container I started it up, logged in and out a few times from the console without doing anything (this worked fine). I then logged in, done an apt-get update/apt-get upgrade. When the upgrade was complete, I tried to log out and the issue occurred.

I was able to reproduce this multiple times. It doesn't happen on every logout, but eventually it does.

I get the following errors in auth.log after logging out with the same symptoms:

Code:
agetty[17334]: /dev/pts/1: cannot get controlling tty: Operation not permitted
agetty[17334]: /dev/pts/1: cannot get controlling tty: Operation not permitted
agetty[17334]: /dev/pts/1: cannot set process group: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I can reach the container with lxc-attach, but cannot use xterm,js or any of the other offers in the gui.
It takes a restart of the container to get rid of the issue - until the next logout.
However in some cases this issue does not occur.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!