Debain Lenny Issues

adamb

Famous Member
Mar 1, 2012
I am trying to get a debain lenny firewall (Untangle) to stop locking up at random points. I have ran Untangle inside of VMWare esxi, virtualbox and KVM on CentOS6 without any issues. Proxmox though just seems to lock up. Sometime it locks up while booting and sometimes it locks up after being up for 30 minutes. When the VM locks up it pegs out the CPU on the host, and the VM goes to 100% cpu. Does anyone have any input on what the issue could be? I would love to get this working properly inside of proxmox.

I've tried using different types of nic's (E1000, virtio) and different types of disk (IDE and Virtio). Nothing in the logs jumps out as an issue on the host. I obviously can't see the logs of the VM because it locks up and I can't get to anything.

Almost forgot.

root@proxmox2:/var/log# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 2.1-14 (pve-manager/2.1/f32f3f46)
running kernel: 2.6.32-14-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.1-74
pve-kernel-2.6.32-14-pve: 2.6.32-74
pve-kernel-2.6.32-7-pve: 2.6.32-60
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.3-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.92-3
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.8-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-27
qemu-server: 2.0-49
pve-firmware: 1.0-18
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-30
libpve-access-control: 1.0-24
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-31
vncterm: 1.0-3
vzctl: 3.0.30-2pve5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.1-8
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

It seems the more resources I provide to the VM, the less chance of a lockup.

Last edited:
I remember strange problems with default 2.6.26 lenny kernels and virtio, solved by using a back-ported 2.6.32 lenny kernel.

As I do not know Untangle in detail, I suggest you ask also there.

you can also try the packages from pvetest (newer kernel and latest KVM 1.2).

you run 32 or 64 bit untangle?

It doesn't seem to matter what amount of cpu I give the VM and it will still lock up. I notice when it does lock up that CPU for the VM goes to 100%. This is also reflected on the host. The VM currently has 6 vcpu's. In the host I can see this VM stuck at 600% cpu usage.

Last edited:
I tried untangle as KVM, also not stable here. this looks like a high security appliance but they are using Lenny with 2.6.26 kernel as base OS - now a "not maintained" Debian OS.

Pls ask if they support a 2.6.32 kernel (from lenny-backports) - or even better, hopefully they move to a newer base OS soon (e.g. Squeeze)

I tried untangle as KVM, also not stable here. this looks like a high security appliance but they are using Lenny with 2.6.26 kernel as base OS - now a "not maintained" Debian OS.

Pls ask if they support a 2.6.32 kernel (from lenny-backports) - or even better, hopefully they move to a newer base OS soon (e.g. Squeeze)

Yep they are looking to move to squeeze in the near future.

Seems like I am able to avoid the lockup issue if I disable "ACPI Support" for the guest. Any ideas on why this could be?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!